Deco settings with BT Player

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-22 19:07:26
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.7

Hi all,

Have just changed my setup from AP Mode to Router mode using Deco M5.

I'm finding out all sorts of little idiosyncrasies like not using 1.1.1.1 as a DNS if you have a Yale Smart Sync system. Cloudflare appear to block Yale's connection at present.

Anyway, have a BT player which I can watch apps through (Netflix etc) but not getting any signal for Internet channels such as Comedy, Sports, History etc etc. 

Is anyone aware of Router settings that are needed for this? I tried VLAN 101 but this did nothing...

Cheers,

Lee

Options
17 Reply
Re:Deco settings with BT Player
2020-08-27 02:09:14

@Travs 

Hi Lee,

May I know what is the current network diagram? How do you connect these Deco M5 units together?

If the Deco M5 is working as a router, you may try to change the WAN DNS server on it 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, then reboot the mesh system to give it a go.

Good days.

Options
2020-08-27 06:39:39

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Have indeed changed the DNS to the standard google ones (8888 and 8844) and this has corrected the Yale error.

I have an old BT Openreach vDSL modem connected straight to the main node. From there the main node serves the Smart TV and BT Player through a TPLink Switch. This also serves a TPLink Power adaptor for various hubs and bridges (Hue, Yale, Hive, Sureflap Catflap).

There are 5 nodes around the house then connected wirelessly - everything seems to work smoothly including getting 65Mbps to the end of the garden so I'm happy with that. 

When it comes to my specific issue with the BT player, I'm getting internet feeds for the apps on there, but not the internet tv channels. I've since researched and found that this is a multicast signal, and requires an IGMP snooping feature which Deco doesn't support. I think I just join the queue of users that are hoping that this comes through in a firmware update but as this has been raised for quite some time I'm guessing this probably isn't on the to-do list...

Kind regards,

Lee

Options
2020-08-27 09:49:20

@Travs 

Hi, thanks for getting back.

Actually, the Deco M5 does support IGMP snooping and it is enabled by default.

What I assume is that you may need to configure the IPTV settings on the Deco? BTW, how does this BT Player work before without this Deco M5 installed?

For IPTV settings, you may refer to the below instructions:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2421/

May it help.

Options
2020-08-27 15:54:14

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi again,

Thanks for getting back to me and the response; good to know that IGMP Snooping is supported and setup. All of the pre-set modes are no good for UK. I tried VLAN/IPTV but it stops everything working on the box.

I think more than anything, I need to know IPTV/VLAN ID and Priotity are required, because when I try anything so far it kills the internet connection to the BT player completely.; in other words, I lose the apps like Netflix etc.

The box connected previously directly to the BT Home Hub 6 (when I was using Deco in AP mode only) and just plugged in and worked (all BT branded so designed to work with each other). The box itself is a Humax DTR-T4000. It isn't wi-fi enabled, its always been connected by ethernet cable. Assuming all relevant settings were agreeable by design but nothing in the Admin Settings.

interestingly, I've just turned the tv to an Internet channel and there is a picture but its really really bad - really blocky, hardly any sound, mostly blocks of unwatchable squares. So there is a signal, its just really really weak? I'm getting 65Mbps throughout the house and no problems streaming data through apps, so how come this is just a really bad signal...?

Kind regards,

Lee

Options
2020-08-27 23:59:27 - last edited 2020-08-28 00:00:29

@Travs 

Same issue for me (Deco M4) - BT Openreach Fibre connection - Main Deco connected directly to the ONT box, BT player connected to slave Deco.

Netflix and everything else works perfectly but no IPTV channels, multicast problem - we'd need the VLAN settings that BT require

Options
2020-08-28 09:26:49

@IanJ 

I've asked on BT community forum at the same time. Response there is that its down to IGMP Snooping and refers me here...

So for the time being, until someone can either give us the correct IPTV VLAN ID and Priority, or we can see where/how IGMP Snooping is working (at the moment there is no evidence or documentation, just a reply on a forum) then we're stuck.

Like I said in my last post - when I tried it yesterday, its not that there is no signal getting through at all; its that the signal is so weak that on a good day you can see blocky unwatchable stuff, on a bad day there's nothing at all. Not sure where to go from there...

Options
2020-09-02 02:31:15

@Travs   @IanJ 

Hi all, thanks for providing the details.

As per your descriptions, BT suggested configuring VLAN ID on the Deco/router? If so, they should provide you that VLAN ID, as it is decided by them but not on the Deco.

Have you tried to change the main Deco into AP mode? If not yet, please give it a go and see how it helps.

Let the community know if there is an update, thanks.

Options
2020-09-02 18:52:52

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi - I am considering running the Deco's as AP's when I've next got something I'd like to watch on BT Sport, I'm sure it will work but it does seem to go against the reason that I went with the Deco units rather than just getting BT's own mesh system which works with the Smart Hub they provide

Options
2020-09-03 15:11:52

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks for the reply but I think you've misread my last message.

Response on the BT forum was that it was down to IGMP snooping. It's been stated on here that this is supported but there's nothing on any documentation so I can't see that for myself.

What I was saying was that if, as suggested on here, IPTV settings were needed, then I needed more assistance in regards to what settings are used - as anything I try (custom, bridge mode, ID set to 101, priority 0) doesn't work and makes things worse.

So, for clarity, the response on the BT forum is that this is an IGMP snooping issue.

To also clarify, I'm now in a situation where I get very very weak internet channels. Not watchable and the odd sound.

As far as using the setup in AP mode - I had that before but wanted to utilise all of the features in the Deco system. In AP mode it was fine but you couldn't use most of the tools and features which is what I wanted to do.

Options
2020-09-04 01:16:35

@IanJ 

Hi, do you mean you have confirmed the BT Player and BT Sport works fine when Deco is in AP mode? If so, Can I have your detailed network diagram when the Deco is working as a router? Is there a switch in your network?

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1896

Replies: 17