C50 router as access point speeds low

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-25 08:52:50 - last edited 2020-08-26 03:15:22
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have set up my C50 as an access point hardwired via cat6.

tested speeds via ethernet and getting around 90mbps

WIFI speeds on 2Ghz - 15mbps and 5ghz 30mbps. That is standing right next to the C50. 

Any ideas on how to improve the speeds on this? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:C50 router as access point speeds low-Solution
2020-08-26 03:15:17 - last edited 2020-08-26 03:15:22

@r4vvm 

Hello, sorry to hear the speed is not as good as expected, please help verify some details and we will try to fix it together:

1. How did you test this speed via the router? Did you disconnect all the other devices from it and only leave this wireless device (is it a phone or laptop?) performing the test? How about the wireless negotiation speed on it? 

Note: If the link speed is not as good as expected, please try with another laptop or phone with a more powerful wireless adapter.

2. Are you testing the speed by speedtest.net? Please try to download the Speedtest app on your phone or computer and simplify your network layout if there are other routers or RE in your network, just leave the modem and the C50 on, disconnect other devices and run the Speedtest app 3 times. Please ensure the 2.4GHz wireless channel width is set to 40MHz and 5GHz is 80MHz. Here is the guide to modify the wireless settings on the router:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2292/

3. Please disable QoS on the C50 or try to reset it to the factory defaults, then reconfigure it from scratch.

Additionally, please refer to the instruction below to narrow down the issue. 
What should I do if internet speed is slow when the device is connected to the TP-Link router?

May it help.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:C50 router as access point speeds low-Solution
2020-08-26 03:15:17 - last edited 2020-08-26 03:15:22

@r4vvm 

Hello, sorry to hear the speed is not as good as expected, please help verify some details and we will try to fix it together:

1. How did you test this speed via the router? Did you disconnect all the other devices from it and only leave this wireless device (is it a phone or laptop?) performing the test? How about the wireless negotiation speed on it? 

Note: If the link speed is not as good as expected, please try with another laptop or phone with a more powerful wireless adapter.

2. Are you testing the speed by speedtest.net? Please try to download the Speedtest app on your phone or computer and simplify your network layout if there are other routers or RE in your network, just leave the modem and the C50 on, disconnect other devices and run the Speedtest app 3 times. Please ensure the 2.4GHz wireless channel width is set to 40MHz and 5GHz is 80MHz. Here is the guide to modify the wireless settings on the router:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2292/

3. Please disable QoS on the C50 or try to reset it to the factory defaults, then reconfigure it from scratch.

Additionally, please refer to the instruction below to narrow down the issue. 
What should I do if internet speed is slow when the device is connected to the TP-Link router?

May it help.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:C50 router as access point speeds low
2020-08-26 08:32:12

@Kevin_Z Yes i disconnected all the devices and connected ethernet directly to laptop and turned wifi off on laptop. 

2. I tested the WIFI speeds on iphone X and samsung phone using the speedtest app with no other devices connected to the C50

3. I have updated the channel width, how do you disable QoS? 

Options
2020-08-26 10:03:31

@r4vvm 

Hi, you may find QoS menu on your C50 web, try to disable it:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1532/

If this doesn't help as well, try to reset the C50 to factory and reconfigure it from scratch, then monitor again.

Options
2020-08-26 15:32:00

@Kevin_Z I cannot find the QoS service in my settings 

Options
2020-08-28 07:46:17

@r4vvm can anyone help? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 981