Unstable connection and Speed issues with Archer AX11000 Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unstable connection and Speed issues with Archer AX11000 Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
35 Reply
Re:Unstable connection and Speed issues with Archer AX11000 Router
2021-03-03 12:41:28

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks For responding!

My network is now stable again without any changes on my end.  Here is the gist of it:

My ISP is Cox Communications.  Whenever there is any internet disruption in  my area, these things start happening (constant connecting/disconnecting) even after they say the internet disruption is fixed.  Then in a few days, my router gets stable again, and the problem goes away.  In response to your specific questions:

• I did optimize my router according to your suggestions per LaDell Erby.  Hopefully that will alleviate the problem next time.
  • The internet LED on the AX11000 is always solid white when I have these problems so no bad indicators there.
  • The Smart Connect enabled is off by default
  • My ISP is Cox Communications. My ISP bandwidth is about 170 down and 12 up.

I wish I could figure out how the router kinda heals itself, or rather, what is happening with my ISP such that after a disruption. things do not go back to normal immediately?

btw, I panicked and bought another modem and router.  Was hoping to swap them in and out one at a time to see if that made a difference, but problem is gone now so I will never know.

Options
2021-03-03 14:02:21
Whoops! I spoke too soon, I am back in the same situation again, connections not stable, both ethernet and wifi! The things I changed per your suggestion did not work. So I guess I will swap out the new router and new modem when they arrive tomorrow. If I still have a problem, it's gotta be with my ISP, Cox Communications. Any suggestions or additional questions in the meamtime?
Options
2021-03-04 09:25:45

@PGdude 

How many devices are connected to the AX11000 network? Do you mean you have this disconnect issue even by connecting a computer directly to the AX1000 LAN while the Internet LED on it is always solid white?

If that is the case, I hope you could connect the computer directly to the Cox modem to check if you can get a stable connection. If yes, then you can connect the AX1000 back between the Cox modem and the same computer, and login to the web interface page to do the MAC clone. You can find it on the Advanced > Internet page.

While if the internet is also not stable when you are connected directly to the Cox modem, there might be an issue with the Cox line or the modem, you may test that with the newly purchased modem and router.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-03-04 13:55:22

@Kevin_Z 

I have 8 Ethernet ports connected to devices (other routers with connections to roku/firetv via ethernet and 5 computers.  I have 2 ipads, 2 iphones and smart TVs connected via the wifi on all 3 bands: 2.4G, 5G, and 5G gaming.  And yes, I have connect/disconnect issues even with direct ethernet connection between router and computer, all the while the indicator is solid WHITE.

Today, Thursday, March 4, the connections are stable again.

When/if I get the problems again, I will test with new router, AX6000 and new modem, Motorola MG7700 24x8 Cable Modem Plus AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router with Power Boost, 1000 Mbps Maximum Docsis 3.0.  The thing I like about the new modem is that I can easily connect the modem to the computer without having to disconnect AX11000 connection to the modem since it has 4 ethernet ports.

Question:  Why do a MAC clone from the router.  What do you hope to gain by that?

Options
2022-02-03 07:48:28

@Kevin_Z

Just received my AX11000 in the mail and set it up.  It wasn't until I turned off Smart Connect and segregated my networks along with following these settings changes that my upstream recovered from an abysmal 7mbps upstream.  I'm with Spectrum and I should be getting 20mbps.  Not sure what exactly made the biggest difference but I'm in a better place for now.  I'm still a bit skeptical of performance until I can clear a week of usage without an issue.  As it stands, I'm not using the Antivirus Homecare module.  I have one device setup for Parental Control and that seems to be working fine.  QOS has been manually set to a bandwidth of 20 up / 400 down, which is what I pay for and can achieve.  The 'standard' QOS setting is being used.  I'll post again as time passes to let everyone here know that Kevin_Z's recommendations did work for me.

Options
2022-03-08 21:56:34

@Ghost_Rid8r and everyone else on this thread:

If you are still having wireless stability issues with your AX11000 make sure you open a ticket and report it not just the forums. Been fighting tp-link for months. They replaced my unit and have the same issues with 2.4GHz only devices especially keep getting kicked off their connection or have trouble connecting in the first place.  They insist I am the only one reporting stability issues with the unit and that it takes 5 reports from customers (who purchased their unit less than 2 years ago) for it to be considered a bug, otherwise they assume it is hardware (really stupid policy). 

They replaced my unit less than 6 months ago and are simply telling me if I am not happy with it to buy something else. 

Direct quote from so called support... "We are still confirming the Firmware for this Model. If incase the Firmware that you have is the latest one and the issues that you are having with the router did not get resolve by reset, we suggest to buy a new Router."

Another quote from a seperate email

"Be informed that Firmwares are being developed and released if there's a bug reported. Issue/s will be considered as Bug if 5 or more customers reported the same issue with devices bought less than 2 years ago.

If  less than 5 customers are having an issue with devices more than 2 yrs old, it cannot be counted as bug, but a hardware issue."

I have smart connect disabled, ever gave some units (thermostat, doorbell, scale, etc) a dedicated 2.4GHz guest network with lower security with zero improvement. Even my phone randomly shows it is disconnected or without internet forcing me to manually force the phone to try again.

Options
2022-03-09 07:42:44

Hello @AmethystScarab,

Sorry to hear your initial interaction with our support team was anything less than satisfactory, and we would appreciate another opportunity to follow up and address your concerns. Can you please describe the issue you're experiencing in detail? Only the 2.4G connection gives you disconnect trouble? Please confirm if the 5G connection is stable.

If it's only the 2.4G connection not stable, please tell us how many devices are connecting to the 2.4G and what are they, try modifying the basic wireless settings on the router, such as wireless channel, security and Mode to check if any makes a difference.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-03-09 14:41:09
Kevin, this is hardly my "initial interaction". This is dozens of "interactions" over the course of 2 years. (Most of which never even provided me with a ticket number or any type of response, typically a someone will call you back which never happens). The devices I notice having the most consistent issues seem to be 2.4GHz only devices, but it is not limited to those devices so I can not be certain it doesn't affect the 5GHz radios as well (or which 5GHz radio) without changing settings and reconnecting devices that often don't have keyboards. I have about 25 devices total, with about half of those plugged in (5 port switch connected to the unit to accommodate). And several of those are not on all the time. The devices I notice the most trouble with are those that wake up and attempt to connect (Garmin Index Scale 2.4GHz Only, SmartOilGauge 2.4GHz only, and similar) however I have also experienced issues with always connected devices getting dropped or failing the handshake. For instance my Lennox iComfort Thermostat is 2.4GHz only but stays connected at all times for remote access. It will often be rejected connecting, or connect and not be able to reach the internet, or connect and determine it is able to reach the internet (not sure how this is determined) but not able to reach the Lennox servers. SkyBell Doorbell cameras go unresponsive for extended periods trying to reestablish communication even after working for several days (they flash a different color when they are having trouble connecting to wifi). In total there are about 5-6 2.4GHz only devices, some of which are not on consistently). Though Amazon Echos, cellphones and tablets might try to use the 2.4GHz network give the instability of the unit and I have seen several lose connectivity only to automatically reconnect seconds to several minutes later but not certain which radio they were connected to when dropped as the unit has no accessible logging). I have used a switch in front of the router for package captures and the traffic isn't making it out of the router during any of these cases even when showing connected. I have enabled parental controls on the devices with zero restrictions just to log the url history (which often doesn't populate even when communication is successful, the interface is terrible). This router for some reason doesn't have the port mirroring feature of some of the lower end or older models so I can't easily capture wireless traffic from within the network. Using an older 802.11n router with its own network name resolves much of these issues but isn't a reasonable solution, it does however demonstrate this is not an issue with the connected devices themselves. There is also a fun issue with the units DNS server, where it will timeout or provide randomly incorrect info. The most frustrating is when it fails to resolve tplinkwifi.net to the router, instead directing to an external website providing instructions of how to setup the router. This wouldn't be as big a deal given I typically use the IP address of the router for web management (the app is near useless, though web management isn't much better). Except for randomly while navigating the menus, especially if I let the page sit for a bit it attempts to bring me to the tplinkwifi.net version of the page needing me to hit the back but or updating the url to the IP address again. I am not going to even get into the numerous times I have had to reboot the router while attempting to stream something (even on wired connections). But instead of working to resolve the issues or even acknowledging them, we go more than half a year without a firmware update and get stonewalled by support (that doesn't have even basic network understanding or troubleshooting skills other than ask you to perform a factory reset) with no escalation points.
Options
2022-03-09 14:47:10

@Kevin_Z Wow didn't realize quick reply would remove all line feeds. 

Options
2022-03-09 15:59:14
Hello AmethystScarab, just send again a new ticket to TP-Link for bad wifi 2,4 and 5 GHX and asked them to solve my problem. As a work around I bought an other mesh system witch is working well. maybe we get enough customers with problems so TP-Link has to solve this problem.
Options