Deco Router IGMP Snooping for BT TV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-27 09:12:47 - last edited 2020-08-27 09:43:12
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.4.7

For BT TV usage please avoid the Deco Mesh solutions unless you intend to use them in Access Point mode keeping the BT hub as the router. As a result functions such as parental control, threat prevention and QOS will not be available in this mode.

Having read up on several threads around this issue I performed some experiments and concluded that the Deco solution while running in Router mode does not support IGMP Snooping which is required for BT TV to work - particularly BT sport's channels. When in AP mode and using the BT Hub as the router, BT TV will work when connected to a Deco AP. The IPTV functions do not help with this.

This is a significant problem for the UK user base who use BT TV. Looking at the other threads relating to this issue, they stop dead as soon as IGMP Snooping is mentioned without confirming the lack of support.

@TP-Link, Deco mesh is a great product and I have deployed it in AP mode in a number of locations that use BT TV, due to its strength as a basic WiFi mesh solution but the loss of these great features and having to keep the terrible BT router running is a real let down. Please invest in including IGMP Snooping in the next firmware release for Router mode to address this issue for the UK.

For clarity the M5 supports IGMP in switch (access Point) mode, but not in Router mode.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco Router IGMP Snooping for BT TV
2020-08-28 10:55:35 - last edited 2020-09-23 01:33:50

@TJ39 

Hello, thanks for bringing this up.

Actually, the Deco devices support IGMP V2 and V3, thus they support IGMP snooping both in Router mode and in Access Point mode.

When the main Deco works as a router and you connect the BT TV to it, what is the error message when you are trying to watch BT sport's channels? Have you confirmed this with BT support that whether it needs to modify any other settings on the router? BTW, when the main Deco works as a router, how about the BT Hub, is it running in bridge mode? We actually find some other customers are reporting that their BT TV is not working when connecting to a Google WIFI system, so we don't think this is a Deco issue, but as you said, we would be happy to investigate with you since this is important especially for UK users.

Can you describe your detailed network diagram and how the BT TV and other devices connected to the network? We will try our best to figure it out and offer a solution, thanks a lot.

Options
2020-08-28 11:19:19

@TP-Link_Deco , thank you for replying. There is no error, simply the streaming image is scrambled when the deco is in router mode.

Initially I replaced the BT hub with a tp link 300 vdsl modem in bridge mode then connected to the Deco main unit as the router. BT Youview box connected by cat 5 to the main deco directly. BT TV Image scrambled, Netflix fine from the same Youview box. General internet access fine.

Secondly, replaced the tp link modem with the original BT hub in router mode (the home hub does not support bridge) and kept the deco in router mode - therefore double NAT. BT TV Image scrambled, Netflix and internet access fine.

Connected the BT youview box directly to the BT hub and the image was unscrambled.

Lastly I placed the main deco in access point mode connected to the BT home hub as the Router and the BT TV Image is unscrambled when connected to the main deco. Everything is working fine in this mode. Even with the BT youview box connected to a secondary deco it worked fine.

Advice from BT is that IGMP Snooping must be enabled and that it is my network at fault. The deco in either mode has no IGMP options. It seems and I would agree that working as a basic switch the deco units are capable of handling IGMP, but the router function is not.

As there are a few of us reporting this issue it would be beneficial for tp link to please work with BT directly to understand and resolve the issue for UK users.

Options
2020-08-28 11:25:52 - last edited 2020-08-28 11:26:37

I will add that the image scrambling issue has been previously observed when non IGMP compatible network components were used - in that case it was caused by WiFi extenders and powerline adaptors so it is clear that BT TV streaming channels do depend on IGMP Snooping.

In this case however the only network components in use are TP link Deco with a bridged tp link modem in front or proven compatible BT hub.

Options
2020-08-28 12:10:01

I just tried something to prove that BT are not tying thier Youview box to thier router by replacing the BT home hub with the tp link 300 acting as vdsl modem and router and the BT TV channels are unscrambled, so this is not the case. From Deco main unit in AP mode the channels are unscrambled and from Deco main unit in router mode (therefore double NAT) the BT TV channels are scrambled. Definitely the deco in router mode is causing the issue being either the primary or secondary router.

Afraid that from today I will be unable to test further as these were customer installations and I don't have BT TV myself to test further. Leaving both installations in AP mode which has proven to be stable and effective as a mesh solution. Just a shame to lose the extra functions. @tp-link hopefully you can work further with BT directly to correct this.

Options
2020-08-31 11:14:11

@TJ39 

Thanks very much for all the details you've provided now.

We will try to investigate this issue and see if there is anything we can do with the current router firmware.

Good days.

Options
2020-09-23 00:39:23

@TP-Link_Deco has anything more come of this?

I am in exactly the same position as the original post and have been scouring the internet for a solution.

Options
2020-09-23 01:23:56

@Liamib 

Hello, thanks for bringing this up again.

Is your case exactly the same as TJ39's? Are you using a BT Hub as the main router and it cannot be configured as a bridge?

Can you also describe your detailed network diagram and how the BT TV and other devices connected to the network? Is there also a scrambling issue when you watch the BT sport's channels?

Thanks a lot~

Options
2022-01-17 21:28:33

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi Support, I too are in the same position as the OP. BT home hub > M9 router mode > BTTV simply doesn't work. Can you suggest any way around this please? It seems that IGMP support is required. When I look on app at the IPTV settings I only see options for Singapore and Malaysia based providers. 

Thanks 

Options
2022-01-18 13:29:31 - last edited 2022-01-18 13:31:06

@TJ39 @Liamib @TheCurl Did you enable IGMP from web ui? (Advanced> system> system parameters)

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2022-06-22 12:14:31

@David-TP 

Hi TP-Link, I;m about to buuy a Deco X20-DSL and two deco X20 to replace a BT HH6.  The X20-DSL will be connected dfriectly to the VDSL cable and it must support BT TV, can you confirm if the issues reported in this chain have been fixed please.  Its a significant investment and I need to be sure it can support BT TV while not losing the features the X20 mesh brings in router mode such as parental controls, as that is why I'm going for TP link.  Otherwise its Tenda for me im afraid.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4498

Replies: 11

Related Articles