Constant WiFi issues, Deco doesn't seem to have resolved them.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-27 10:03:51 - last edited 2020-08-28 11:22:13
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.4.7

Hello,

FIrst of all, new to this community!

Little brief history of my woes.

I live in a 3 bed, semi detached house. Built in the 1960's.

I have Virgin broadband, 150mb. They provided their super hub which worked fine, until we had a baby!

Now the room the baby sleeps in has very poor wifi signal from the Super Hub and would constanty dip in and out, meaning the camera goes off.

I bought the Tenda Nova mesh at first, and this worked really well... If close to the nodes.

As soon as you moved slightly away (2 bar signal rather than 3) the speeds dropped horrendously. 

So I decided to purchase the Deco M5, 2 pack.

All seemed to be working great... Until the iPhone 6s that plays white noise via YouTube kept stopping last night!
When doing a speed test on the phone I was getting 5kbps, 10kbps - YES .... KBPS!! Meanwhile, my phone when sat downstairs was getting 100+mbs

I noticed the iPhone was connecting itself to the Deco downstairs, with 2 bar signal strength.

When I manually connected it to the one upstairs, all seemed great but the signal strength dropped and it moved itsself back to the one downstairs. 

Is it normal, to see such low speeds? We're talking "Ok" signal strength here, not very poor. Surely these units should be giving more then 10kbps? This is even worse than the Tenda Novas.

I've attached a little floor plan as a guide. Also not sure why the signal from the Deco upstairs was so poor, when the room is literally a few meters away.

File:
F Plan.pngDownload
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Constant WiFi issues, Deco doesn't seem to have resolved them.-Solution
2020-08-28 11:22:09 - last edited 2020-08-28 11:22:13

@LancDanc 

Hello,

Generally, the Deco system will recommend the client device to roam to the closest Deco unit when the device is moving around. However, whether to roam or not depends on the device itself.

Some devices may stay connected to the original Deco unit rather than connecting to the closest Deco, possible reasons include the following:

1) The device doesn't support the roaming protocol. Then it won't roam until it disconnects from the Deco unit.

2) The device may regard the signal strength of the current connection is still strong enough and don't want to roam to another Deco unit. It's decided by the roaming threshold which is set by the vendor of the device.

As for the issue you encountered, please confirm first if the 2nd Deco is stably connected to the main Deco, the LED on it is always solid green. As per your house layout, it seems the 2nd Deco is far away for the main, can you please confirm? How many signal bars can you get when sitting in the location of the 2nd Deco (turn this Deco off first) on your phone? If the signal source is not good, the connection between the two Decos is not stable, thus your phone will connect to the original wireless as there might be no internet on the 2nd.

You can also try to disable fast roaming on the Deco to give it a go.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Constant WiFi issues, Deco doesn't seem to have resolved them.-Solution
2020-08-28 11:22:09 - last edited 2020-08-28 11:22:13

@LancDanc 

Hello,

Generally, the Deco system will recommend the client device to roam to the closest Deco unit when the device is moving around. However, whether to roam or not depends on the device itself.

Some devices may stay connected to the original Deco unit rather than connecting to the closest Deco, possible reasons include the following:

1) The device doesn't support the roaming protocol. Then it won't roam until it disconnects from the Deco unit.

2) The device may regard the signal strength of the current connection is still strong enough and don't want to roam to another Deco unit. It's decided by the roaming threshold which is set by the vendor of the device.

As for the issue you encountered, please confirm first if the 2nd Deco is stably connected to the main Deco, the LED on it is always solid green. As per your house layout, it seems the 2nd Deco is far away for the main, can you please confirm? How many signal bars can you get when sitting in the location of the 2nd Deco (turn this Deco off first) on your phone? If the signal source is not good, the connection between the two Decos is not stable, thus your phone will connect to the original wireless as there might be no internet on the 2nd.

You can also try to disable fast roaming on the Deco to give it a go.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Constant WiFi issues, Deco doesn't seem to have resolved them.
2020-08-31 17:33:03

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks for the response. 

I have since moved the AP, the WiFi connection to the main one downstairs is 2 / 3 bars. So very good. 

It's now in the room next to where the camera is situated and I STILL have problems. The camera switches its connection between the AP and main AP, also signal is low?! How can it be so low, when the AP is in the room next door? 

Speeds are horrendous, if I stand next to the AP I get 100mbish. Go into the room next door I get 1mb. You can't even watch a YouTube video.

Mesh is turned off and disabled mesh on the camera yet it still decides to connect to the downstairs AP. 

It's getting sent back, terrible product. 

Options
2020-09-01 17:47:36

Anyone considering the TP Link Deco.... DON'T. 

I wanted to replace my Novw MW5 setup as I felt the speeds I got wasn't enough... This setup Is now back in and loads better than the Deco. 

Exact same setup in terms of positioning and I'm getting 40-50mb in the same room the Deco gave me 1mb at best. 

Fraction of the price too. 

Options
2020-09-02 01:59:06

@LancDanc 

Hi, sorry to hear that the Deco M5 doesn't work properly and doesn't give the desired speed.

We will keep improving the performance and mesh system in future updates, and hope everything is good for you.

Nice days.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2092

Replies: 4

Related Articles