Network Switch/Hub

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Network Switch/Hub

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Network Switch/Hub
Network Switch/Hub
2020-08-27 13:42:53 - last edited 2020-08-28 11:37:08
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: latest

Hi,

I hope ill explain this ok.

I have a bar in my garden now due and i wanted to get decent WI-FI in there as my current BT router wont reach to that paert of the garden and i want to run my fire stick/Sky Q etc and hopefully even my Hive system so i can install cameras/motion detectors.

Any hoo, I have the 1st Deco "tower" running from my BT home hub to give it internet and then a different wifi name/password to my BT. I can connect my fire stick perfectly now in the bar as I have one of the Deco towers in my spare room and one in the bar, so its almost like a pyramid.

I couldnt get Sky Q to work unless i turned the wifi off on the sky Q box and then ran an ethernet cable from the sky Q box to the main Deco tower  (the one that runs into the BT hub) using the 2nd ethernet port.

Anyways my Hive is connected to my BT hub using the BT username etc but i would like as i mentioned to have motion sensors/cameras on my bar but the existing BT hub wont reach to the bar (hence me buying the Deco) But i cant plug the Hive system into the Deco tower as there is no more spare ethernet holes. 

So can i buy a 5 switch/hub, plug it into the deco tower and then plug the the sky Q and the hive system into that. and if so, whats the best switch to use.

I hope this all makes sense, sorry if it doesnt or its been asked a dozen times before.

cheers in advance

Darren

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Network Switch/Hub-Solution
2020-08-28 11:36:46 - last edited 2020-08-28 11:37:08

@Daz5894 

Hello, thanks a lot for all the detailed info.

So if I didn't understand wrong, your current network layout is like below, and you want to connect the Sky Q and Hive system to the main Deco directly:

BT home hub-->main Deco (router mode or AP mode?))))))(((((2nd Deco

)))))(((((3rd Deco

If this is the case, you can try to add an unmanaged switch like SG108 or SG105, plug it directly to the main Deco, then connect the Sky Q and Hive to the switch.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Network Switch/Hub-Solution
2020-08-28 11:36:46 - last edited 2020-08-28 11:37:08

@Daz5894 

Hello, thanks a lot for all the detailed info.

So if I didn't understand wrong, your current network layout is like below, and you want to connect the Sky Q and Hive system to the main Deco directly:

BT home hub-->main Deco (router mode or AP mode?))))))(((((2nd Deco

)))))(((((3rd Deco

If this is the case, you can try to add an unmanaged switch like SG108 or SG105, plug it directly to the main Deco, then connect the Sky Q and Hive to the switch.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Network Switch/Hub
2020-08-28 13:47:31 - last edited 2020-08-28 14:03:48

Thank you for your reply & yes thats how my set up is & I just checked my settings and i have it set to Router Mode. I have ordered the SG105 so hopefully that'll work plugged in like you said. I just checked my settings and i have it set to Router Mode. TP-Link DDNS disabled, SIP ALG enabled, UPNP enabled, Fast roaming disabled, & beamforming enabled.

Ideally I would just like everything to work off one wifi network instead of two. I have read that i cant change the BT hub into "modem" only and turn off wi-fi. If i purchase a modem, can then this be done? for instance the TP-Link 300 or AC1200?

Cheers

Options
Re:Network Switch/Hub
2020-08-31 09:32:31

@Daz5894 

Hi, by AC1200, do you refer to VR400? May I know the exact model for TP-Link 300?

Generally, the VR400 can be set up into a bridge mode and we can dial-up or set up the internet on the main Deco router. However, you need to verify this first with your Internet Provider, as there might be special limitations on the ISP side for a third-party modem.

Hope this makes sense, good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 628

Replies: 3

Related Articles