Can't find the right QOS setting to avoid network choking

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-27 14:58:26
Model: TL-SG105E  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20191105 Rel.33503

I have a network with 1 router and 3 switches (cascaded), to connect all rooms in my house. Sometimes my network seems to choke (becomes very slow) and in rare cases one of my sons is downloading a game from his game PC. I tried several QOS to avoid the problem, but the problem persists. Anyone get any advice to avoid one of the systems on my network getting almost all bandwidth?

QOS is Currently set to  DSCP/802.1P Based on all switches.

FYI: my router does not provide a QOS funtion.

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can't find the right QOS setting to avoid network choking
2020-08-29 07:53:43

Yesterday it happened again. My son complained that because of his brother he couldn't do anything. I checked with him and the internet speed was very bad for him.

My other son just started up his PC and stated that the network choke could be caused by hir Epic game launcher starting up and downloading stuff.

I have a theory about what happens: The complaining son is connected to the first switch in the cascade of switches, while the other is on the last one. Could it be that QOS works, but give the traffic between switchs priority over other network traffic? Which could explain that one son's network traffic gets priority over the other.

For the time being we installed netlimiter to reduce the bandwidth consumption for epicgamelauncher.

Still looking for a solution to balance network traffic without reducing the speed for connections.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 498

Replies: 1