Problems with new firmware on c2300 v2 and cannot downgrade to previous firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Problems with new firmware on c2300 v2 and cannot downgrade to previous firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-27 22:24:22
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200714 rel.30791(4555)

Hi I have just updated the firmware to 1.1.0 Build 20200714 rel.30791(4555)

The problem with this version is that I have no control over the firewall settings any more.

On the previous firmware I could turn off DDOS detection for ICMP packets. Now all those menu options are gone.

I needed this to be turned off because the router was detecting traffic from my VPN software as an ICMP flood attack and blocking the ip of my laptop.

This flood detection is now happening again under the new firmware and now I cant turn it off.

All I can do is reboot the router and I have to do that through the on/off switch because there is no reboot option in the menu any more.

Basically this firmware make my router unusable to me so I want to downgrade to the old version of the firmware.

I have downloaded Archer C2300(EU)_V2_1909223.bin from your website but when I try the firmware upgrade procedure in the modem and select that bin file I get the message "unable to upgrade"

Please tell me how to go back to the older firmware.

I don't want to enter into lengthy troubleshooting. I have lost too may options to control my router through this firmware upgrade so I just want to go back to the old firmware.

Please tell me how to downgrade.

Thanks,

Sean

Options
15 Reply
Re:Problems with new firmware on c2300 v2 and cannot downgrade to previous firmware
2020-08-28 06:16:40

@SeanBir 

Hello, thanks for reporting this issue to the community.

May I confirm some details first as the latest firmware was not allowed to be downgraded to the previous?

1. Can you show me the current Firewall tab on your router web UI, which excludes the DoS Protection option?

2. Is there a VPN server in the local network of this C2300? Generally, the VPN connection will not be treated as a flood by the router, may I know is there any special behavior by accessing the VPN server?

3. Generally, a hardware reset will clear all the data or setting on the router, may I know how long it will last to allow that device to work after the reset?

Thanks a lot.

Options
Re:Problems with new firmware on c2300 v2 and cannot downgrade to previous firmware
2020-08-28 08:58:22 - last edited 2020-08-28 09:38:15

@Kevin_Z 

For question 1:

Here is the firewall management tab after the upgrade:

What is missing after the upgrade are the following two sections which used to be on this screen:

For number 2: 

There is no VPN server in the local network. The VPN server is on the internet.

The VPN client is on the laptop being blocked by the router ( I use the privateinternetaccess.com client)

For number 3:

Yes, rebooting the router clears the laptop IP address from the blocked hosts list. This only lasts until my VPN client tries to reconnect to a server and the laptop is blocked again.

Note: To be clear this is not about the VPN per se.  In order to establish what servers are available, the VPN client on the laptop uses ping packets. These ping packets are detected by the router as an ICMP flood attack and the laptop IP address is put into the Blocked DoS host list. 

With the old firmware I could turn off ICMP flood attack filtering using the settings that are now missing   shown above.

With the new firmware I cannot turn off this setting and now once more the laptop is being blocked and I can see in the system log on the router that it is still detecting flood attacks from this laptop and blocking it.

So, I want to go back to the old firmware that was working just fine for me in my configuration.

Please tell me how to downgrade to the old firmware.

Thanks,

Sean

Options
2020-08-29 19:44:21 - last edited 2020-08-29 22:13:22

@Kevin_Z  @Anyone 

Can anyone help me with the downgrade process for the C2300 please ?

Options
2020-08-31 02:29:46

@SeanBir 

Hello, thanks a lot for all the details.

Our engineer will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.     

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
2020-08-31 14:04:37

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you. I am waiting for the engineer's email. At the time  of writing I have not received any email as yet.

Options
2020-10-25 09:00:17

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, I'm having exactly the same issue. Would your engineer be able to email me the solution too please?

Thanks

Options
2020-10-25 09:00:50
Did you find a solution in the end? I have the exact same issue.
Options
2020-10-25 09:51:08

@AlDaGr 

Hi there,
The engineer did send me a beta firmware which when applied with a local upgrade and rebooted it then allowed me to do another local upgrade and select the older firmware.
However before they had sent me that (because it took a couple of weeks) I had already figured out that you can use the procedure to restore the router as if the upgrade had been interrupted and select the old firmware when doing that. 
You have to force the router into recovery mode by holding the small reset button at the back of the router in with a paperclip or nib of a pen until the lights on the router start to flash indicating it is in recovery mode and then follow section 4.3 of the manual  :

NOTE: You will need to connect your PC or Laptop to the router via an ethernet cable to do this. 
You may also need to set a static IP on your pc/laptop address to make sure it can still connect to the router in recovery mode (I just can't remember if I had to do this or not) but the manual doesn't mention it.

Make sure you have downloaded the correct version of the old firmware for your router!!!

Both the method above and the beta firmware method worked for me.

Best of luck - I feel your pain and frustration.

Regards,

Sean

Options
2020-10-25 10:05:25
Thanks man, I'll have a go at that, good luck me! For anyone else stumbling across this thread: as a quick, non-permanent fix I've just worked out that you can edit (Inspect Element) the URL for "Firewall" in "Advanced -> Security" from "https://x.x.x.x/webpages/pages/userrpm/newSecuritySettings.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.html" to "https://x.x.x.x/webpages/pages/userrpm/securitySettings.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.html" and get the old DoS settings in there even with the newer firmware.
Options
2020-10-25 10:11:22

@AlDaGr 

Wow, your workaround is really cool!!!

I'll have to try that because I would still prefer to be on the most recent firmware!!!

Cheers.

Community helping each other!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2274

Replies: 15

Related Articles