Deco S4 *.lan *.local - local name resolution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-28 11:40:33
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.2

Hello, I've recently switch over to the Deco S4, they are working nicely and you're updating them regularly,

Other than some hig CPU useage when accessing the webpages or looking at them on the app and some part failing there they are all good.

BUT the big bad and poor point I've been trying to get woking is local name resolution, there is a lack of settings is anything.

With my old routers ISP supplied Technicolor, various D-Link before that etc  I could enter mycomputer.lan and raspberrypi.lan and frontlight.lan, fishtank.lan, webcam.lan etc. and I could get to thier webpage.  Many and nearly all open IoT and computers use these for easy access and remote access from within the network.  Sort of fundamental to modern setups.

But since using the full S4 setup, none of it works and it's a right mess going back to scanning the network for IP address/Deco app etc.

How do I get local IP names working with the S4 setup ?

Quite a fundamental part that has broken.

So how do I access these setting to get them working, how do I get to real 'advanced' settings, not just the few normal 'advanced' setting you have given us.

Many thanks and look forward to getting this sorted.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco S4 *.lan *.local - local name resolution
2020-09-01 03:32:09

@bensimmo 

Hello,

Can we have your detailed network diagram when adding these Deco S4s in your network and those hostnames no longer work? Are all those computers, fish tanks, and cameras are connected to the Deco wireless network?

When you try to access those devices in the LAN, what are the error messages showing up?

Thanks.

Options
2020-09-01 13:49:26 - last edited 2020-09-01 13:51:48

@TP-Link_Deco 

Standard setup

FTTH(ONT) - (ethernet) - S4 (IP4 PPOE Router mdoe) - (WiFi or ethernet) - 2 X S4

3xS4kit

All setting I believe are still at default, no Mac cloning, upnp and sip enabled

fast roaming off, beam forming on

IOT connected via WiFi

or I add switch and powerlines for Ethernet connected Pi and other devices it doesn't change.

Neither WiFi nor Ethernet gives local name resolutions.

I can drop back to my old ISP router and it works fine typing in fishtank.lan and raspberrypi.lan etc.

thanks.

anything more and I can do.

error message e.g. not found (webpage) or couldn't resolve (SSH) 

IP address 192.168.68.110 etc can get to them fine once I find what it is. the S4 router fails to resolve local names.

Options
2020-09-02 01:26:29

@bensimmo 

Got it. We will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 869

Replies: 3

Related Articles