Archer VR600 v2 firmware problem and other issues with DSL bridge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-29 20:21:27
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.4.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 200701 Beta.71362n

Hello,

I have a Archer VR600 v2 set up in DSL bridge mode with my main router.

I have updated to the latest firmware 0.4.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 200701 Beta.71362n that came out.

There is no problem with internet and DSL on the clients, however, I cannot connect to my local NTP server from the modem itself anymore with this firmware.

Previous firmwares worked fine but this firmware is getting stuck at "Getting GMT...." messege.

My setup is like this:

TP-Link LAN1 connected to ROUTER WAN port.

TP-Link LAN2 connected to switch LAN 24.

Modem is on DSL Bridge mode.

There are two interface groups on the modem.

------------------------------------------------

GROUP1:

WAN and LAN1

DHCP: OFF

STATIC IP: 192.168.0.1

GROUP2:

LAN2, LAN3, LAN4

STATIC IP: 192.168.1.3

Group Isolation is enabled.

The NTP server ip is 192.168.1.41

I can ping the ip address of the modem with no problem so 192.168.1.3 is reachable.

But modem cannot  get the NTP for some reason. This problem is mostly with firmware I believe because with previous firmwares with this setup there is no issue.

The second thing I couldn't solve the internet access of the modem itself.

In theory modem should have access to internet coming from the LAN2 connection. However, it doesn't have internet access at all. I cannot check for firmware updates from the UI or connect to cloud services or even use the TP-Link ID login. I am getting "Internet is unavailable" messeges. How can I solve this?

Another thing I want to ask is with this setup I am constantly getting these messeges in my SYSLOG.

"V2 igmp router occured! Not matching ours V3."

I have mutlicast enabled for my ipcams but IGMP snooping is disabled for the GROUP 2 so I should not get any messeges.

Any help is appreciated.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer VR600 v2 firmware problem and other issues with DSL bridge
2020-08-30 00:41:10

@Laxarus 

For your case, I might need to check some details with our senior engineers.

Let me get back to you as soon as possible.

Welcome everyone to shed a light.

Thank you!

Options
2020-08-30 12:00:47

@Sunshine Thanks for the help.

Options
2020-09-05 19:34:45

@Laxarus 

I have same firmware and same problem as well

appreiciate your help here 

No NTP servers can reply ,, however when I use my VPN  can update my laptop time  once I disconnect , the problem exists 

I even called my ISP and they assured that they are not prohibiting NTP  

Firmware Version:0.4.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 200701 Beta.71362n Hardware Version:Archer VR600 v2 00000000

Laxarus wrote

Hello,

I have a Archer VR600 v2 set up in DSL bridge mode with my main router.

I have updated to the latest firmware 0.4.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 200701 Beta.71362n that came out.

There is no problem with internet and DSL on the clients, however, I cannot connect to my local NTP server from the modem itself anymore with this firmware.

Previous firmwares worked fine but this firmware is getting stuck at "Getting GMT...." messege.

My setup is like this:

TP-Link LAN1 connected to ROUTER WAN port.

TP-Link LAN2 connected to switch LAN 24.

Modem is on DSL Bridge mode.

There are two interface groups on the modem.

GROUP1:

WAN and LAN1

STATIC IP: 192.168.0.1

GROUP2:

LAN2, LAN3, LAN4

STATIC IP: 192.168.1.3

Group Isolation is enabled.

The NTP server ip is 192.168.1.41

I can ping the ip address of the modem with no problem so 192.168.1.3 is reachable.

But modem cannot  get the NTP for some reason. This problem is mostly with firmware I believe because with previous firmwares with this setup there is no issue.

The second thing I couldn't solve the internet access of the modem itself.

In theory modem should have access to internet coming from the LAN2 connection. However, it doesn't have internet access at all. I cannot check for firmware updates from the UI or connect to cloud services or even use the TP-Link ID login. I am getting "Internet is unavailable" messeges. How can I solve this?

Another thing I want to ask is with this setup I am constantly getting these messeges in my SYSLOG.

"V2 igmp router occured! Not matching ours V3."

I have mutlicast enabled for my ipcams but IGMP snooping is disabled for the GROUP 2 so I should not get any messeges.

Any help is appreciated.

Options
2020-09-09 21:41:06

Bump,

Any update for this pls?

Options
2020-10-18 00:44:25

Bump

Options
2020-10-22 09:17:21

@Laxarus 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

I am sincerely sorry that I forgot updating your case.

Is It too late now?

After checking your case with the senior engineers, we do have the following inquiries;

1. Is the network topology like:

ISP---<DSL cable>---DSL bridge modem(VR600)----LAN1---main router

-----LAN2—24 ports switch

Where is the NTP server located, behind the switch, or to LAN3/4?

1. In Group 1, the static IP is the LAN IP address of the main router, and also the router worked as the DHCP server,  right?
  2. What could be the DHCP server on Group 2, the switch itself?
  3. If possible, can I have pictures of the interface grouping settings on the Archer VR600?

If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to point it out.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Waiting for your reply.

Options
2020-10-22 21:17:15 - last edited 2020-10-22 21:18:26

Nope, not too late.

I downgraded the firmware to "0.3.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 200226 RC.65147n" so there is no issue with the NTP now. The problem was with the "0.4.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 200701 Beta.71362n" firmware. However, internet connection problem still exists. Modem should have internet access when LAN2 is connected. However, it doesn't have internet access at all.

I cannot check for firmware updates from the UI or connect to cloud services or even use the TP-Link ID login. I am getting "Internet is unavailable" messeges. However, if I remove the LAN2 cable from the modem and connect to a pc, I can access the internet just fine. So, modem is not looking for the internet connection at all.

1- Topology is exactly like you have said: ISP------DSL bridge modem(VR600)----LAN1---main router -----LAN2—24 ports switch

2- In group 1, there is no DHCP server and there is only two devices with static ips (modem and router). modem ip: 192.168.0.1 router ip: 192.168.0.2 modem LAN1 is connected to router WAN1 which is responsible for internet connection coming from the dsl port of the modem.

3- DHCP server for group 2 is the router.

4- I cannot give you the screenshot because, since it was not working, I have removed it. @BowMan_joe has mentioned, he has the same problem regarding NTP.

Options
2020-10-29 10:04:49

@Laxarus 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Sorry for the delay.

So, if I am right, you want to create double Wan connection on Archer VR600, one from DSL, the other from 24 ports switch?

If yes, Have you tried to connect the connect the switch to the LAN4/WAN port to have a look?

Today, we have built up the same network topology on our side based on my guess for the double WAN connection on VR900 since we did not have VR600 available now.

And It failed as well. There is no internet connection no matter it is connected to the LAN2, or LAN4/WAN;

So, we think it had large possibility that the modem could not handle double WAN connection due to the limitation of the chipset;

If you have any better ideas or if there Is any misunderstanding, please feel free to get back to me.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-10-29 15:33:01 - last edited 2020-10-29 15:34:38

@Sunshine 

Yes, you are right.

Like you said, I also tried the LAN4/WAN but it doesn't work.

From what I gather, for internet connectivity, the only solution is to use the device as actual endpoint for the ISP.

To be more precise, you have to use br_ptm_35_0 interface and terminate the ISP there with your ISP requirements(username, password, DSL type etc..)

So, the internet connection will not work if you use it as an access point too.

See the below topology where no WAN connection is present and you use VR600 like a switch.

another modem/router --- switch --- VR600 LAN# --- PC#1

or

another modem/router --- VR600 LAN#(1,2,3,4) --- PC#2

In this case, the internet is still not available. The OS is just forwarding the packets but not getting any internet connection itself.

You can access the internet from PC#1 and #2 but not from the VR600 itself. This also applies to previous topology, see below for details.

ISP---<DSL cable>---DSL bridge modem(VR600) LAN1----main router WAN

main router LAN ----- 24 ports switch LAN-----VR600 LAN2

VR600 LAN3 ----- PC#3

According to above topology, the main router is the DHCP server.

VR600 interface#2 has a static ip.

PC#3 has internet connectivity but vr600 itself does not have it. Though, it is more accurate to say it also has internet access but cannot tap into it.

I am not sure about the chipset but considering above topology, this seems to be more like an OS configuration issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2407

Replies: 9

Related Articles