WiFi as WAN for Archer C7 v4 - WDS mode is not the answer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-29 21:49:19 - last edited 2020-09-26 07:18:01
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: Archer C7(US)_V4_190411

I live in an apartment complex with free, fast WiFi that does not have a password or any security. II do not have physcial access to this router. have multiple laptops (all running Windows 10), a printer, and a smart TV. My objectives:

1. Connect all devices to my router with its own SSID so that all devices need a password to access the router and that the devices are hidden from others on the free, public WiFi. Effectively, I want the public WiFi to simply be the WAN input for the router, where the router then behaves normally where all devices connected to it are given local IP address to network with each other.

2. The laptops need to connect to the router via either a wired or wireless connection. They need to be visible to each other to allow fast transfer of files between them.

3. The printer needs to connect to the router so that the laptops can print to it,

4. The smart TV needs to connect to the router so that it is hidden from others on the public WiFi.

Unfortunately, achieving the above has been difficult. I have followed all of the instructions for WDS bridging, connected my router to the right WiFi network and disabled DHCP. If one or two devices are able to connect to the Internet throught the bridged router, others are not. Either they can't connect to the router at all, or if they do, they cannot access the Internet. A lot of times, the connection drops.

Any ideas on what I can do? Searching for answers, I see references for "WISP mode" or "WiFi as WAN" and not sure what to do? Would loading alternative firmware such as DD-WRT achieve this? If it does, what are the downsides? Will the C7's USB ports work so I can connect USD hard drives to them?

I do not understand why this is so difficult. With my windows laptops, all I need to do is switch on hotspot mode and other devices can connect to them easily.

Options
3 Reply
Re:WiFi as WAN for Archer C7 v4 - WDS mode is not the answer
2020-08-31 07:49:44 - last edited 2020-09-26 07:18:01

@squash 

Hello,

When using the C7 as a WDS bridging, you need to ensure the host free WiFi is stable first, and ensure there are no limitations for the connected devices, including the connected numbers or their MAC address, etc. As far as I know, there might be some restrictions on that public WiFi to exclude some unknown connections.

To be honest, the WDS bridging setup, as you mentioned, is quite easy, we just need to enable it and search for that WiFi that you want to extend, then it will work. Below is the instructions you may refer to:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1555/

Hope this makes sense, good day.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-09-12 04:48:10 - last edited 2020-09-12 04:49:22

Did you get this working? From what you describe, I believe you do NOT want to turn DHCP off since you WANT to have all your own devices that connect to your router assigned a new local IP. I've not done this setup before, though came across this because I'm about to try. Noticed in some TP-Link docs that you can configure the local wifi differently than the "host" or "WAN" wifi, but couldn't decipher whether it treats that host as WAN or just bridges that host wifi to the local wifi and ethernet ports (in which case the DHCP being on would certainly interfere.)

I hope I'm wrong, but my feeling is that I'd need one router to be bridged as you described, and then get a second router and run an ethernet cable from a LAN ethernet port on the first router to the WAN port of the second router. All your devices would then connect to the 2nd router's wifi and LAN ports.

If you've managed to complete this setup -- please let us know the final configuration!

Options
2020-09-26 07:22:29
Every time I do it, it seems to work at first, but then quickly devices are no longer able to connect to the Archer C7. I'm about to give up and find another router. It really shouldn't be so difficult. I'm experimenting with DD-WRT. On their forums, they are saying what I'm looking for is repeater mode but the Archer C7 doesn't support it. Please let me know if you have any luck.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1292

Replies: 3

Related Articles