Can I add static routing together with WDS Bridging

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-31 08:30:45
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

I have my Archer C7 WiFi router configured with the 2.4G band in WDS bridging mode to the service provider DSL modem/WiFi router. However, the service provider does NOT let me configure the DHCP/DNS on their router, so I have disabled DHCP on their router and run the DHCP server on my Archer C7. 

Normal clients work fine and I get coverage all through the house––except one. I need to configure STATIC ROUTING on the Archer C7 with a DIFFERENT DNS server for the internal network. I do NOT have access to this setting on the service provider router. 

Even though it is set to 2.4G WDS bridging mode, my Archer C7 is configured to run the DHCP server for all clients on the network. Is there a way to configure the Archer C7 to also do STATIC ROUTING for all internal WiFI clients on the network BEFORE it hits the service provider router?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I add static routing together with WDS Bridging
2020-08-31 09:21:05

@mixelles 

Hi,

What is the IP address of this C7 and how about the DHCP server setting on it? Kindly show us the screenshot, thanks.

Meanwhile, please tell us the IP address of the DNS server which is in your local network. You may try to set the DNS server on the C7 to your own DNS server and see if that helps.

Thanks.

Options
Re:Can I add static routing together with WDS Bridging
2020-09-07 07:33:17

@Kevin_Z Here is an outline of the basic config

external modem/WiFi router:

- WAN: PPPoE to service provider, DNS servers set by service provider

- LAN: 192.168.1.1 

- DCHP disabled

C7

- WAN: disabled

- LAN: manual IP address on the same subnet, 192.168.1.254,

- DHCP: enabled, with DNS set to customer external DNS servers 

- WiFI: 

- 2.4GHz: WDS Bridging Enabled, link to 2.4Ghz on on the external modem/WiFi router

- 5Ghz: standard config 

- Static Routing

- Destination Network: [example 1.1.1.1] 

- Subnet Mask:255.255.255.255, 

- Gateway Addr: [ what do I put here??? ]

My goal is to add static routing to the C7 Router, which then uses then DNS servers configured on the C7. This usually works when the gateway address is the ipAddr of the C7 and the C7 is routing traffic through the WAN port. But in this case, I'm using WDS bridging and the traffic is routed thorugh the SP WiFi/Router WAN port. If I use the SP Router as the gateway, then I have no control over the final DNS servers. If I use the LAN address of the C7, nothing happens because it's not the router, right?

Is there a way to get this done?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 581

Replies: 2