Deco M4 needs to reboot everyday after update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-05 15:59:52 - last edited 2020-09-07 06:01:47
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20200727 Rel. 37987

Hi there,

I have a 100/50 internet package. I'm using deco as M4 in AP mode. I have no problem reaching full speed which is 100Mbps all the time on my deco M4.

Until a recent update, my speed will drops to 20-30Mbps for no reason even on 5Ghz only. I have to reboot my deco M4 every 1 or 2 days. I'm so frustrated.

Is there any beta firmware or method to downgrade to the previous version of the firmware?

TQ.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco M4 needs to reboot everyday after update-Solution
2020-09-07 06:01:28 - last edited 2020-09-07 06:01:47

@jacktiew 

Hello, sorry that it is not allowed to downgrade to the previous version, please help confirm some details and we can try to fix it together:
1. What is the current network topology/layout? How are the Deco M4 nodes connected to each other? On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul.
2. Before setting up the mesh system, do you have an old wireless router? Have you ever tested the speed now by plugging a computer directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable? Please unplug the other three Deco units and connect your computer to the main deco directly and test the speed you can get from it via speedtest.net as well and check the wired link speed.
3. If the wired speed from the main Deco is good, connect your phones or laptops to the 5GHz network and confirm the wireless speed then.

Additionally, please refer to the below troubleshooting to check the QoS settings on the Deco app again:
https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2429/#case%201 (Case 1)
After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it improves.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-21 04:03:16 - last edited 2020-09-21 06:35:43

@TP-Link_Deco @eero

My temporary solution is to change from access point mode to router mode. After the deco reboots, I delete network from the app. Then set up everything from scratch. 

It's been two days or so. I haven't face any speed reduction so far... Will report back in maybe a few days more.

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
2020-09-07 06:01:28 - last edited 2020-09-07 06:01:47

@jacktiew 

Hello, sorry that it is not allowed to downgrade to the previous version, please help confirm some details and we can try to fix it together:
1. What is the current network topology/layout? How are the Deco M4 nodes connected to each other? On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul.
2. Before setting up the mesh system, do you have an old wireless router? Have you ever tested the speed now by plugging a computer directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable? Please unplug the other three Deco units and connect your computer to the main deco directly and test the speed you can get from it via speedtest.net as well and check the wired link speed.
3. If the wired speed from the main Deco is good, connect your phones or laptops to the 5GHz network and confirm the wireless speed then.

Additionally, please refer to the below troubleshooting to check the QoS settings on the Deco app again:
https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2429/#case%201 (Case 1)
After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it improves.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M4 needs to reboot everyday after update
2020-09-13 05:48:39

@TP-Link_Deco 

1. I have modem->Router->Deco. The deco is in AP mode. In the app, it shows ethernet backhaul. I plugged LAN cable my computer into the slave deco, the OOKLA speedtest shows that I'm getting full speed, but only wi-fi having problem. The speed drops are happening to every device that connected to the slave deco, meanwhile the main deco has no issue.

2. I did. I get full speed from the ISP. I have no problem with achieving full speed until the recent update which happens almost every single day or two.

3. I already have the set the SSID for 5Ghz only. It still shows the same result.

Options
2020-09-13 12:49:06

@jacktiew @TP-Link_Deco 

Sorry to piggyback, but I have a similar problem. Deco in AP mode, using Ethernet backbone, latest firmware. Anything connected to the main Deco reaches high speeds with WiFi (have 100Mbps, fast.com shows ~90Mps). Same devices connected to slave Deco only reach ~8-9Mps at fast.com. Tx rate on the connection at the same time is 527Mps@5Ghz.

But I cannot confirm that my issue comes from the latest firmware - I did the upgrade only when famiy started to notice, that something is wonky. Also, rebooting the devices does not solve the issue for me, even temporarily.

Options
2020-09-15 06:01:43

@jacktiew 

Hello, thanks for all the details you've provided now.

Please check on your Deco app again and ensure you are running the latest firmware for both of the two Deco M4 units, which should be 1.4.2 Build 20200727 Rel. 37987.

After you updated to the latest firmware, please then reboot both units and check the speed again.

@eero 

Hello,

As per your description, it seems that the issue is not the same as jacktiew, we may confirm the below and try to figure it out:

1. What is the distance between the two Deco N4 nodes, that is to say, how long is the cable between them? 

2. Try to connect your computer to the 2nd Deco M4 by an ethernet cable, then run a speedtest to test the wired connection.
3. Relocate the 2nd Deco M4 and move it closer to the main Deco, then test the speed via speedtest again.

4. How about the wireless link speed on that computer or phone when connected to the 2nd Deco M4? Please confirm it as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

If the wireless link speed is slow, try with another wireless device and confirm again, tell me the model number of the wireless adapters.

5. Try to move the 2nd Deco M4 closer to the main Deco and ensure there are no/fewer obstacles between them. If it doesn’t make sense, reboot all the Deco units for a try.

Thank you both, good days.

Options
2020-09-21 04:03:16 - last edited 2020-09-21 06:35:43

@TP-Link_Deco @eero

My temporary solution is to change from access point mode to router mode. After the deco reboots, I delete network from the app. Then set up everything from scratch. 

It's been two days or so. I haven't face any speed reduction so far... Will report back in maybe a few days more.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-21 06:35:36

@jacktiew 

Hi, thank you very much for your valued update and it's glad to hear that the Deco network is stable after the reconfiguration.

Please monitor the stability and let us know if there is still an issue, thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-22 07:12:07

@jacktiew @TP-Link_Deco 

Seems my issue might be cable related. Cable tester shows all good, but still it seems the Deco has only 10Mbit connection. Would be handy if the app showed the established connection rate for quicker discovery. Otherwise, thanks for taking notice and sorry for jumping into unrelated topic.

Options
2020-09-22 08:58:51

@eero 

Problem resolved? That's good to hear! :)

Options
2020-09-28 07:04:31

@jacktiew 

Seems so. Has been good for a week now. Cheers and thanks!

Options
2020-09-30 15:04:33

@TP-Link_Deco 

The problem still occurs even after upgrade to 1.4.3 beta firmware. Can you please assist?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3510

Replies: 12