Bandwidth limited on one device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-08 17:48:05
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20200725 Rel 65637

I just bought the Deco M9 Plus system to get a better connection throughout my home. I have a 1000Mbps up and down connection from ATT Fiber. My internet gateway provided by ATT also has wifi capability that I can use for comparison. 

When connected via wifi to the ATT gateway, all devices are connected at acceptable speeds depending on how far away they are. My phone (iPhone) and laptop (Surface Pro) both connect at about 400mbps when they are within 4 ft of the gateway. 

My main deco router sites next to and is connected to this gateway via the provided wire. When connected to the Deco network, my phone tests at the same 400Mbps speed. My laptop though drops to 20MBps. I can connect the same laptop to the wifi network of the gateway, and it gets 400mbps again. 

So for some reason, Deco is limiting the speed of the Surface Pro. Other devices on Deco are getting appropriate speeds as expected. 

Here is what I have done so far: 

• updated drivers on the affected laptop. 
  • Tried different MIMO SPMS settings. 
  • Made sure no power settings are limiting wifi power. 
  • QoS settings are set to standard/off
  • I have tried turning off the malware/antivirus on the deco system, with no effect. 

Here is the funkiest thing of all: I have another laptop (dell), that was having the same issue. Turning off and on location service in windows 10 fixed the speed. The same would not work on the Surface Pro. I know some times wifi is used to improve location services, but not sure how this is affecting speed. 

On one side only the surface pro is having the issue, on the other, its only having the issue with Deco. It also seems like a limit rather than a performance issue. For example, for most devices, I get different speeds based on how far away from the router I am. But Surface is limited to 20 when its 4 feet away or across 2 rooms. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Bandwidth limited on one device
2020-09-10 05:41:40

@mzabbas 

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this issue to the community and we will get some details to do further analysis and try to fix it. 

What is the current network topology/layout? When you connect the Surface Pro laptop to the main Deco, is it connected to 5GHz or 2.4GHz network? Please try to unplug the other 2 satellite Deco nodes and only leave the main Deco.

How about the link speed on the Surface Pro laptop? Please refer to the link below to confirm it:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

What is the model of the wireless adapter on this Surface Pro laptop?

Try to switch the Deco to access point mode, then reboot both the ATT gateway and Deco to confirm the speed again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 317

Replies: 1

Related Articles