Deco M4 instalation as Acess Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-08 18:20:51 - last edited 2020-09-10 06:06:22
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I bought a Deco M4 to use as router in my apartment. But now I realized that my internet provider doesn´t allow its modem to work in bridge mode. So, my only option is to install my 2 Deco devices as acess aoints.
I would like to know if, even working as acess point, one of my Deco devices needs to be connected to my modem through cable. Otherwise, is it possible to install both of them without cables, extending the root network?

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M4 instalation as Acess Point-Solution
2020-09-10 06:06:06 - last edited 2020-09-10 06:06:22

Thank @VCL for his valued suggestions.

@GustavoT 

Sorry that there is no extender mode for the Deco devices, we must connect the main Deco to the front-end modem or router with an Ethernet cable.

I agree with VCL that you can still try to configure the Deco as a router and it should work. Just ensure all devices are connected to the Deco network if you want them to communicate with each other.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M4 instalation as Acess Point
2020-09-09 11:18:29

@GustavoT I think you always need a cable, because I see no option for WPS wifi extension. Even without bridge mode, I woud still try the router mode and see if that works fine for you, just make sure that the LAN IPs you select ofor the deco LAN are different from the LAN IPs that the ISP router gives you. The decos will see the ISP router LAN as WAN and still do NAT'ing, maybe a bit reduced speed, but probably not even noticeable.

Options
Re:Deco M4 instalation as Acess Point-Solution
2020-09-10 06:06:06 - last edited 2020-09-10 06:06:22

Thank @VCL for his valued suggestions.

@GustavoT 

Sorry that there is no extender mode for the Deco devices, we must connect the main Deco to the front-end modem or router with an Ethernet cable.

I agree with VCL that you can still try to configure the Deco as a router and it should work. Just ensure all devices are connected to the Deco network if you want them to communicate with each other.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-10 08:39:34

I setup a friend M4R mesh network using router mode while connected to the ISP LAN as "WAN" and everything works fine, even the segregation of the guest network, and the app connects to the decos fine, but I did not setup any TP-Link DDNS. When you always use the decos in router mode, in a real WAN you can use the TP-Link DDNS, while using the ISP LAN as "WAN" the main deco will, probably, report the IP of the ISP LAN and since that is not a real WAN IP probably will not work, maybe @TP-Link_Deco can confirm this?

Options
2020-09-10 19:27:21

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thank you for the quick answer.

I installed my deco devices as router to try. I created a new wifi network and it is working fine, but my old wifi network is still available (from the modem/router of the internet provider) at the same time.

I would like to know if the existence of these two networks running togheter can cause some problem to the connection.

Thank you

Options
2020-09-11 03:29:53

@GustavoT 

Hi, glad to hear that it is working fine in router mode.

Generally, when Deco works with an existing modem router, it is suggested to turn off the its Wi-Fi network and use Deco's Wi-Fi network instead to minimize the wireless interference.

Options
2020-09-11 03:33:53

@VCL 

Hello, thanks for asking.

Even the Deco is connected to the ISP LAN as "WAN", you can still use the TP-Link DDNS on the Deco when it is working as a router. You may give it a go.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 913

Replies: 6