Not part of deco network on 5ghz band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-09 09:23:34
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

I recently set up my deco as a router and existing router into bridge mode as just a dumb modem.

The issue I had was that I couldn't edit the ipv4 details because it kept saying that I must join the deco network when I was clearly already on.

I eventually worked out that it only considered my device to be part of the network when I was on the 2.4ghz band not 5ghz. So I got the job done but this also explained an issue I had with my TV and it's app on my phone where it couldn't detect the TV whilst on separate bands.

It seems that the deco considers the two bands to be separate networks.

Is this issue:

- Something I haven't set up properly

- A fault with my hardware / firmware

- A fault with all Deco m5s / firmware

- An inherent drawback of all dual band routers

Or something else?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Not part of deco network on 5ghz band
2020-09-10 03:31:41

@Alexanderjohn 

Hello, thanks for reporting this issue to the community, please verify more details and we will try to fix it together:

1. What is the detailed network layout, how are the 3 Deco M9 nodes connected to each other?

2. Who is your ISP and what is the model number of your modem they provided?

3. If the TV is connected to the Deco 5GHz, what is the IPv4 address on it? What is the IP address on the device that is connected to the Deco 2.4GHz network when it cannot find the TV in the network? What is your connect the TV to the main Deco with an Ethernet cable, will it find the TV?

Thanks.

Options
2020-09-10 10:34:58

@TP-Link_Deco 

The setup is three deco M5's v2.1.2 firmware 1.4.7 build 20200725.

ISP is Vodafone, I'm not using their router as it's dreadful, looks good but it's awful (I mean seriously bad, slow, regular drop outs made ten times worse when they tried to fix it) and it won't allow bridge mode.

I have a tplink td-w9970 router in bridge mode connected to the master openreach socket, it's a basic router easy to set up in bridge mode and disable wireless so perfect for the job.

main deco is connected to the w9970 via ethernet cable, then two other M5's one upstairs one downstairs, both wirelessly connected.

The issue is that my phone favours the 5ghz band and lgTV is on 2.4ghz so the lg app on my phone can't find the TV unless I disable 5ghz. This is similar to the issue I had where the deco app would not allow editing of the ipv4 connection whilst connected via 5ghz as it said I wasn't connected to the deco network.

Phone ip is 192.168.0.110 on 5ghz

TV IP is  192.168.0.120 on 2.4ghz

The lg TV app does find the TV when connected via ethernet.

Options
2020-09-10 12:30:46

@Alexanderjohn 

Hello, thanks for the detailed info.

May I have the model number of the LG TV and what does it mean the LG APP cannot find the TV? How do you use the LG app to control the TV or do you cast to the TV?

Do you set a static IP for the TV or it is using dynamic IP? 

What if you try to configure the Deco to work as an access point, leave the phone connecting to 5GHz and TV to 2.4GHz, will the LG app on the phone find the TV?

Thanks.

Options
2020-09-10 13:08:08

@TP-Link_Deco 

I set a static IP for the TV as it improves connectivity with a NAS that I stream from.

I previously had it set up as an access point but the same problem occured.

When I say it can't 'find' the TV I mean that on opening the app it shows a pop up "searching for lgTV" that just times out.

TV is LG UK6950PLB

It's the LG TV plus app that can't detect the TV.

Options
2020-09-11 03:43:40

@Alexanderjohn 

Thanks a lot for all the details.

Please allow the LG TV to get the IP address from the Deco network automatically, then you can add an Address Reservation for it as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1795/

BTW, can you please confirm again if the TV is connected to the same Deco node's 5GHz network as the phone connects to? If not, please try to connect both the phone and TV to the same Deco and confirm.

Let the community know if there is any update, good days.

Options
2020-09-11 07:37:36

@TP-Link_Deco 

I have removed the TV IP reservation but still the same issue.

Re ensuring the phone and TV are on the same 5ghz node, this is the precise issue that I was raising at the beginning, if they are on the same node it's ok! But there is no way to restrict a device to a single node, the deco allocates the best band automatically which is kind of the point of a dual band mesh. The only way currently round this is to shut down the 5ghz band and have everything on 2.4 ghz which again defeats the object. 

What we really need is to allow devices to operate across the nodes.

But it's still a confusing picture as some things will pass across the nodes eg the printer and some things won't!

Options
2020-09-11 08:22:10

@Alexanderjohn 

Sorry about that. Can I have the IP address on your TV now when it is obtained automatically? Can you ping that IP on your phone?

BTW, our engineer will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 854

Replies: 7

Related Articles