vr2100 Just Arrived, but eh no firewall and ports left open???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-09 19:39:35 - last edited 2020-09-16 09:09:39
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 200116 Rel.60756n

Hi,

My Archer VR2100 just arrived today.

Some software issues that might be a misunderstanding:

- I cannot use the firewall to block traffic out of the network?

- There is an open ssh port but no provided user name and password?

Some hardware issues that might be a misunderstanding:

- The signal strength is poor to very poor. My ISP provided modem with no external attennas goes slightly further.

- I have tried various iterations of 2.4/5 and smart Wifi. I find this very odd.

Is this normal?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:vr2100 Just Arrived, but eh no firewall and ports left open???-Solution
2020-09-16 09:09:32 - last edited 2020-09-16 09:09:39

For anyone coming behind, returning product.

WiFi reception is poor, no better than an ISP provided modem. Wifi speed when near modem is fine. 

Can readily use own dhcp/dns with modem. 

Cannot easily block specific traffic out of modem. Can kind of block traffic out with dummy routes, but that's not useful at scale. 

Open SSH port on network with unknown credentials. Just port scan the gateway, there are other ports open by default. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:vr2100 Just Arrived, but eh no firewall and ports left open???
2020-09-10 05:39:19

@lostlad 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Please refer to the following information:

The Firewall prevents cyber-attacks and validates the traffic that is passing through the router based on the protocol.

SSH function on router is only used for Tether 2.0, and does not support SSH clients to login.

As for the poor Wi-Fi signal, please try to change the wireless settings to have a look, such as

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2794/

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:vr2100 Just Arrived, but eh no firewall and ports left open???
2020-09-10 09:21:17
Hi, Thank you for your reply. The firewall may block traffic coming in, but I do not have the option to block traffic coming or going to specific IP Address Ranges for example? Leaving a SSH port open on a network with unknown credentials is just too dangerous. I can't accept that. How do I remove it? I tried your settings the WiFi has not improved. I cannot even get reliable reception upstairs any more. I am totally boggled at the moment. It was a cheaper modem/router maybe but this is just odd. Cheers
Options
Re:vr2100 Just Arrived, but eh no firewall and ports left open???-Solution
2020-09-16 09:09:32 - last edited 2020-09-16 09:09:39

For anyone coming behind, returning product.

WiFi reception is poor, no better than an ISP provided modem. Wifi speed when near modem is fine. 

Can readily use own dhcp/dns with modem. 

Cannot easily block specific traffic out of modem. Can kind of block traffic out with dummy routes, but that's not useful at scale. 

Open SSH port on network with unknown credentials. Just port scan the gateway, there are other ports open by default. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 830

Replies: 3