My router is slower for ethernet than isp router VR900

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-12 19:26:17 - last edited 2020-09-13 19:03:48
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 1.5 v004c.0 Build 170119 Rel.66992n

i have the vr900 v1 i use for talk talk fibre, but its actually slower than the stock talktalk router, i regularly in mid 60's mbs with the talktalk one, i cant get over  58mbs with the vr900, i followed guide to use google dns, but thats all i changed, but its quite a bit slower, wasnt expecting a speed increase, but thought i be on par with it, seeing as we told not to use isp routers as rubbish, but this one is worse, is there something im not doing, or is it the router aint the best, had it a while now, but tempting to flog it and go back to isp one

DSL Modulation Type: 
VDSL2
Annex Type: 
Annex A/L/M
                             Upstream    Downstream

Current Rate(kbps)    15915    62597
Max Rate(kbps)          15915    62598
SNR Margin(dB)           6.1       3.3
Line Attenuation(dB)    23.2    14.3
Errors(pkts)                   64       0

Options
13 Reply
Re:My router is slower for ethernet than isp router VR900
2020-09-17 00:36:07

@andyb68 

Good day.

Sorry for the delay.

For your case, could you please help me check the following information:

1. How long have you had the VR900? Did it get slow speed since first installation?
  2. Have you tried to reset the DSL modem and set it up again?
  3. And it seemed like the DSL Line Attenuation is a little bit high, did you use the DSL splitter or Do you have one more DSL cable for replacement?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-09-17 06:31:02

@Sunshine 

had it about a couple of yrs 

always been that speed, never going above, have reset modem yes, line is fine as has been tested bt BT, so i think the modem has had it tbh, as the talktalk one is far better all around

cheers

Options
2020-09-18 20:22:38 - last edited 2020-09-18 20:54:29

@andyb68 

Strange , I am on TT fibre and have used both V1 ( 1 yr ) and now a V2 version ( 2/3 yrs ) of VR900 , both are far better than std ISP router on VDSL and the file transfer via WiFi or LAN across internal network blasts the ISP router out of the water ?

Check out your line stats etc , don't believe what the BT engineers say , trust me they will tell you anything to slip a job through quickly, you need to google how to get your line stats as TPLINK have made it hard to get them via your router stats page.

It took me 6+ Engineers over 6 months of whining to get one who said " I ain't suprised you have drops and strange speed blips , your dropline from the outside pole is at least 40 years old " changing that cured my woes , yet 5+ other engineers ignored it / didn't want the work  , leaving me thinking I had a faulty router or internal cabling issues.

Also check your cables etc , bought a nice screened Belkin modem lead which made a difference on mine and got a free new face plate for VDSL connection from BT on main internal house box so I didn't need an external filter .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Speed-Internet-Modem-Cable/dp/B00004Z5LZ   , like this one , see reviews at bottom of page.

I now get 80 down and 20 up on an OKLA test with under 10 ms pings to my exchange , previously I had 50/14 40/80 ms with old drop cable and std modem lead with VR900 , the std ISP box from TalkTalk was close behind VSDL modem wise but awful doing file exchanges PC to PC.

My guess is you have an issue somewhere , don't forget although STD ISP modems are a bit poor quality they are very good normally at handling a dirty line , so they will ignore errors and hold speed up ( even though throughput suffers ) , as your modem speed to exchange is negotiated by your modem and exchange transfering error logs , the cheap ISP modem ignores errors so the exchange tends to leave speed high , the better quality modem shows the errors and thus exchange slows speed to allow for ERROR CORRECTION , ultimately although your numbers show the ISP to be better actual throughput will be lower. 

NOTE :

When testing / swapping modems try going into modem interface and DISCONNECT from VDSL first, DON"T just pull cable or switch off power as the exchange will see this as an error and log it as such , that is the main reason many instructions say on first connection leave router to settle for a few hours before speeds are checked , this is to allow error checking and the handshake speed to be finalised by exchange ,this can be a clue to a poor line or wire connection , it will tell you in proper line stats what TYPE of connection the exchange has offered , not just the speed , as a perfect line will need relatively no error correction so it can offer greater speeds , the type of connection will tell you if the exchange is applying error correction on your line and if so how much .

Have fun , although it seems mind boggling at first once you get your head round their system it is quite simple,

Dink.

Options
2020-09-19 02:37:43 - last edited 2020-09-19 02:38:53

@Dink 

no connection issues as have cat6 rj12 modem cable and cat6 ethernet cable, i have gone back to stock isp router and speeds have shot up, especially upload,i notice than the stock isp router after a few days speeds creep up, no doubt to dlm, but vr900 stays where it is,to compare stock and vr900@

never had a drop out, connection has stable as a rock with either router tbh

stock isp router after 2 days

Actual Rate [Kbps]        64448    17736
Maximum Rate [Kbps]    62923    17736
Noise Margin [dB]           3.20    5.90
Attenuation [dB]            18.40    0.00
Power [dBm]                 13.80    7.60

vr900 after few weeks

Upstream    Downstream

Current Rate(kbps)    15915    62597
Max Rate(kbps)          15915    62598
SNR Margin(dB)           6.1       3.3
Line Attenuation(dB)    23.2    14.3
Errors(pkts)                   64       0

can clearly see the difference and feel it tbh,

Options
2020-09-19 18:39:52 - last edited 2020-09-19 19:02:09

Actual Rate [Kbps]        64448    17736    ??
Maximum Rate [Kbps]    62923    17736

So your ISP router is showing an Actual rate higher than Maximum rate or was that a typo  ?

Its easy to see why the ISP router gives a better speed the SNR margin is less  , the higher the margin the lower the speed , so a smaller number here is better.

Seems to agree with what I suggested , the ISP router is ignoring line errors and not allowing DLM at exchange to correct, yes I agree this will seem faster click speed and small downloads but on a download that takes a few minutes the errors will cause bottle necking.

If that wasn't a typo then your ISP router is lying to you as the MAX Download speed is decided by exchange !! and the ACTUAL rate is what it calculates AFTER it has done ERROR CORRECTION , it cannot be greater.

The line attenuation on the VR900 suggests it is seeing more errors / resistive connection than the ISP one as a greater number here means the VR can see a dirty feed cable from exchange .

Have you managed to read your line stats yet ? This is really the only way to see why this is happening .

Your issues are most likely NOT in your house , usually they are dropline or pole connection or your local green box

on side of road has got wet internally at some point , causing minor localised corrosion on some cables.

Have you tries an OOKLA speed test , this gives a better idea than router link speeds , and gives the PING in ms .

Dink.

Options
2020-09-19 18:56:43

@Dink 

thanks for that, just copied this fro talktalk router, its very limited doest show much, or any errors i get, im not very tech minded either tbh. so taken an average of many speedtests using dslreports and others, the isp router always wins on speed, im getting low 60's yet the vr900 rarely gets above 58, i know we maybe talking marging of error here, but just sort of confised as on face of it, well to someone like joe puble, ie me, it says the isp one is better?

Status    UP
Connection Time    2d 09h55m03s
Link Status    UP
Standard    VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
Line Encoding    DMT
Link Encapsulation    ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
Line 1
                                  Downstream         Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps]         64448           17736
Maximum Rate [Kbps]    62923           17736
Noise Margin [dB]           3.20               5.90
Attenuation [dB]             18.40              0.00
Power [dBm]                  13.90              7.60

Options
2020-09-19 19:05:17 - last edited 2020-09-19 19:06:21

I have edited my last post to add info. Get an OOKLA test done and see what the difference is especially PING .

Actual rate HAS to be less than Max rate so something is reading wrong.

Options
2020-09-19 19:09:28

@Dink 

already havelaugh, the VR does have a more constant ping, the isp one fluctuates more. why would that be?  thx for your info, educating

Options
2020-09-19 19:13:14 - last edited 2020-09-19 19:14:22

Line errors.

What is a normal PING for you ?

Options
2020-09-19 19:25:23
on the VR generally max of 10, isp one anything from around 9 to 23, which isnt huge, i generally do a test everyday as had issues with slowdown around peak, down to single figures, hence why had BT here investigating, what hell was going on, suspected they were capping, but BT guy was ace tbh, explained a few things,and wondered why they sent him here with the setup i had, is the cat6 stuff, but week before i hadnt any issues, in fact since i get little if any slow down since, hence why i speed test everyday, for records if happens again
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1638

Replies: 13

Related Articles