PC does not connect to nearest Deco M4 unit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-15 02:09:53 - last edited 2020-09-15 07:58:51
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20200727 Rel. 37987

I have 3 Deco M4 units in my home. My PC (Windows 10) is located in the same room as one of the units but connects (wifi) to another unit further away. All 3 units are online and working. My sense is performance would improve if it connected to the closest unit. Is there a way to force a connection to a specific unit?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:PC does not connect to nearest Deco M4 unit-Solution
2020-09-15 07:58:32 - last edited 2020-09-15 07:58:51

@TommyA 

Hello,

The Deco system will recommend the client device to roam to the closest Deco unit when the device is moving around. However, whether to roam or not depends on the device itself.

Some devices may stay connected to the original Deco unit rather than connecting to the closest Deco, possible reasons include the following:

1) The device doesn't support the roaming protocol. Then it won't roam until it disconnects from the Deco unit.

2) The device may regard the signal strength of the current connection is still strong enough and don't want to roam to another Deco unit. It's decided by the roaming threshold which is set by the vendor of the device.

Back to your case, you may disconnect the wireless connection on your Windows 10 first, then turn off the other two Deco node temporarily and connect to the Deco node in the same room, ensure the connection is built-up successfully, then turn on the other two and confirm again.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:PC does not connect to nearest Deco M4 unit-Solution
2020-09-15 07:58:32 - last edited 2020-09-15 07:58:51

@TommyA 

Hello,

The Deco system will recommend the client device to roam to the closest Deco unit when the device is moving around. However, whether to roam or not depends on the device itself.

Some devices may stay connected to the original Deco unit rather than connecting to the closest Deco, possible reasons include the following:

1) The device doesn't support the roaming protocol. Then it won't roam until it disconnects from the Deco unit.

2) The device may regard the signal strength of the current connection is still strong enough and don't want to roam to another Deco unit. It's decided by the roaming threshold which is set by the vendor of the device.

Back to your case, you may disconnect the wireless connection on your Windows 10 first, then turn off the other two Deco node temporarily and connect to the Deco node in the same room, ensure the connection is built-up successfully, then turn on the other two and confirm again.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:PC does not connect to nearest Deco M4 unit
2020-09-15 19:12:02

@TommyA 

I found the link below in another post and updated the roaming settings for my PC wifi adapter but it did not seem to help - still connecting to the furtherest M4 unit in the house. So I decided to use a wired connection to the closest M4 and now the speed test is much faster.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/592/

Options
2020-09-16 02:37:44

@TommyA 

Thanks very much for your update and sorry about that.

Our developers are also working on the Deco mesh roaming mechanism and we will keep improving it with new firmware updates.

Good days.

Options
2020-11-16 00:56:32

@TP-Link_Deco 

I'm experiencing the same issue on the m4. Is this caused by beam forming feature? Would disabling it resolve the problem?

Options
2020-12-08 22:07:23

@TP-Link_Deco 

Sorry, your answer it not True.

I Have the same problem with 3 Deco M9, Iphone 11, Samnsung Galaxy A5 and Note 10, ChromeBook Asus 2020, Roku, etc. not always (I think, never) connect to the nearest Deco M9 device, even they are 3 meters side by side.

The problem is your software, not our devices, be honest, fix It please.

Why I Say your answer is not true?  becasue I put a Google Mesh in the same configuration and all of my devices connect to the nearest Google device. Ergo, you have a big protocol problem, maybe the way you messure the time of the signal return, I dont know ... but the firmware is buggy

And is a shame because we spend a lot of money in your technology and we need a good fix for this ... soon.

Please, think, not all your customers are NON Techincal ... many of us are.

Thank you.

Mike

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1652

Replies: 5