Constant Internet Disconnections on Access Mode on Archer C80

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-15 13:44:35 - last edited 2020-09-17 06:30:34
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone!

My home is quite large (in a rectangular shape), so I recently purchased a TP-Link Archer C80 (or AC1900). My internet company provided their own router, and then I have an ethernet cable running through the walls to the other end of the house, where I have my office and this TP-Link router installed. However, I'm having some issues with it. If I set the router to Router Mode, it works perfectly fine and I get all the speed and no disconnections whatsoever.

However, I'm trying to set up a Plex server so I need the router to run in Access Point Mode so that all the addresses are in the same LAN (ex: 192.168.1.xxx)

Here's where the issue starts, if I set the router to operate in Access Point mode, instead of Router mode, I get a lot of internet disconnections. I even returned the router to Amazon and replaced it with a new one thinking that it might be a faulty router, but I keep getting a lot of 10-second disconnections (both in the wired and wireless devices). Maybe I get one 10-second disconnection every 1 or 2 minutes, not sure why, and then the internet comes back up again. I've noticed that the led with the computer symbol turns off when there's no internet. Any thoughts on how I could fix that? It doesn’t make any sense that the router works perfectly in Router Mode but it gets all these disconnections in Access Point Mode. Maybe it's something that I need to set up in the main router (the internet company one)?

Thank you very much,

Looking forward to your help,

Manuel.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Constant Internet Disconnections on Access Mode on Archer C80-Solution
2020-09-17 06:30:11 - last edited 2020-09-17 06:30:34

@ManuMenendez 

Hello,

Please provide your detailed network layout then we will confirm if there is an issue. Is it like below?

ISP modem-->ISP router-->C80 (in Access Point mode)

Please ensure the connection on your ISP router is stable first and confirm the connection on the C80 as below:

1. When the computer connected to the C80 network and disconnects every 1 or 2 minutes, does your computer still get connected to the C80 wireless network? How about the IP address on it, can you ping the ISP router? Here is the guide to do the ping test on a computer:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/425/

2. What is the IP address of the C80? Please refer to the below method to reconfigure the C80 to an Access Point again, and change its IP address to be in the same network as your ISP router's:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1384/

May it help~

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Constant Internet Disconnections on Access Mode on Archer C80-Solution
2020-09-17 06:30:11 - last edited 2020-09-17 06:30:34

@ManuMenendez 

Hello,

Please provide your detailed network layout then we will confirm if there is an issue. Is it like below?

ISP modem-->ISP router-->C80 (in Access Point mode)

Please ensure the connection on your ISP router is stable first and confirm the connection on the C80 as below:

1. When the computer connected to the C80 network and disconnects every 1 or 2 minutes, does your computer still get connected to the C80 wireless network? How about the IP address on it, can you ping the ISP router? Here is the guide to do the ping test on a computer:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/425/

2. What is the IP address of the C80? Please refer to the below method to reconfigure the C80 to an Access Point again, and change its IP address to be in the same network as your ISP router's:

May it help~

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Constant Internet Disconnections on Access Mode on Archer C80
2020-09-17 06:39:00

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply.

Right now the outline is as follows:

ISP ROUTER -----connected through ethernet cable to the WAN port of------- TP-LINK C80 ---------connected through the LAN port to a------- LAPTOP

Some other wireless devices get connected either to the ISP Router or to the TP-LINK depending on whether they are closer to one or the other in the house.

As I mentioned, the router Mode works great, no issues there. However, if I set the router to Access Point mode (so that all the devices are under the IPs of the ISP Router), I get a lot of 10-second disconnects on every (both wired and wireless) device that is connected to the TP-LINK C80. Whatever is connected to the ISP Router keeps working fine and doesn't lose connection at all.

I've noticed that the Access Point mode seems to work fine UNTIL one of the devices (either wired or wireless) gets disconnected from the TP-LINK. Not sure if it's an IP address or what it is.

All the help is appreciated! Thank you!

Options
Re:Constant Internet Disconnections on Access Mode on Archer C80
2020-09-18 08:44:14

@ManuMenendez 

Hi, thanks for the update.

It is suggested to connect the C80 LAN port to your ISP router's LAN port to give it a go, just as the instructions I sent to you previously, you may just disable the DHCP on it:

What do you mean it seems working fine until one device gets disconnected? Is this device using a static IP or something? Ensure there is no IP conflict in the network.

Thanks a lot~

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1136

Replies: 3

Related Articles