Tp link ac 2300 drops connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-16 22:23:23 - last edited 2020-09-22 03:30:02
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So guys please help. I have a recently bought tp link 2300, under a week.

I have this setup:

- archer tp link ac 2300 as primary router. I have ppoe conection as input.

- my old router Asus ac 66u as a repeater (i was ok, but i changed it due to the fact that with time, the wi-fi range got really bad)

- a tpliink repeter ( the issues were before adding the repeater so its pretty much irrelevant)

- both router and repeater have the same wi-fi sid, as i dont want to have more wi-fi's

I connect on the 5 g wifi network:

- 2 iphones

- 1 ipad

- 3 laptos

Mostly just 2 phones and 1 laptop in the same time.

And i use the regular 2.4 g network for a variety of small devices, sensor gateways, smart light bulbs, smart light switches, etc ( the problems i have were also before adding this devices so i also consider them irrelevant to the issue at hand)

Also the internet connection is not the issues, because i never had problems before replacing the router. I have the same provider and service for 5+ years.

So the issue at hand is, that at random times i loose the connection to the internet ( no ping reply, outlook disconects, zoom goes crazy, etc). The wi-fi is still present but i just loose acces to the internet.

More that that, in the time i  loose acces to the internet, i can connect to my assus router ( acting as repeater) play with them menu, and the wifi networks are there and it repeats them,whitout internet of course. During the time i loose acces to the internet i can\t connect to my tp-link router evenif it appeears that i am connected to the wifi network.

Generally this are between 5 to 25 timeout pings. i happened on the default firmware that came with the devices, it happens on the latest ( i upated). log is clean

What am i doing wrong?

thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tp link ac 2300 drops connection-Solution
2020-09-22 03:29:57 - last edited 2020-09-22 03:30:02

@PaulVo 

Hello, thanks for all the detailed info. 

So the current issue is that the wireless connection will lose the internet, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the A2300, right? The connection is like below:

modem---A2300 (PPPoE as the WAN connection))))(((Asus ac 66u as a repeater

How is the other repeater connected in the network, is it connected directly to the A2300 or to the Asus ac66u wifi? What is the IP address of these devices, A2300, Asus ac66u and the TP-Link repeater? When you cannot access the A2300 web UI, can you ping its IP?

What is the LED status of the A2300 at that time when you lose the internet? Is the internet LED orange or green? Is there still a WAN IP address on the A2300? BTW, who is your ISP?

How many devices are connected to the A2300 wireless network, 2.4GHz, and 5GHz? Are they losing the internet at the same time or randomly?

Have you ever tried to change some wireless settings yet? Including wireless channel and channel width. For example, change the channel of 2.4GHz to 1, 6, or 11, channel width to 20Mhz; for 5GHz, use channels 36, 40, and 44, channel width 80MHz.

Thanks a lot~

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Tp link ac 2300 drops connection-Solution
2020-09-22 03:29:57 - last edited 2020-09-22 03:30:02

@PaulVo 

Hello, thanks for all the detailed info. 

So the current issue is that the wireless connection will lose the internet, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the A2300, right? The connection is like below:

modem---A2300 (PPPoE as the WAN connection))))(((Asus ac 66u as a repeater

How is the other repeater connected in the network, is it connected directly to the A2300 or to the Asus ac66u wifi? What is the IP address of these devices, A2300, Asus ac66u and the TP-Link repeater? When you cannot access the A2300 web UI, can you ping its IP?

What is the LED status of the A2300 at that time when you lose the internet? Is the internet LED orange or green? Is there still a WAN IP address on the A2300? BTW, who is your ISP?

How many devices are connected to the A2300 wireless network, 2.4GHz, and 5GHz? Are they losing the internet at the same time or randomly?

Have you ever tried to change some wireless settings yet? Including wireless channel and channel width. For example, change the channel of 2.4GHz to 1, 6, or 11, channel width to 20Mhz; for 5GHz, use channels 36, 40, and 44, channel width 80MHz.

Thanks a lot~

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tp link ac 2300 drops connection
2020-09-22 06:49:30

@Kevin_Z 

thank you for the reply.

Adding more information.

IP:

The tp-link has the default ip : 192.168.0.1 . Connected the cable and ppoe.

Added the assus, conected it to the wi-fi from tp-link and put it in repeater mode and the same wi-fi name ( for both 2.4 and 5) got the ip 192.168.0.166

Added the repeater (its the one with electric socket included), on the 2.4, but i am not sure if it connected to the wi-fi from assus or tp-link since they have the same name.

coonected devices:

on 5:

- 3 laptops maximum , but most of the time just one, a Dell.

- 2 iphones, connected most of the time ( 8 and 11) and ocasionally an ipad.

on 2.4 is more messy: ( this were not connected at first, and i still had the issue, connected them after, and its the same, it does not happen more orften)

- xiaomi gateway

- netatmo gateway

- 8 yellight bulbs

- 6 phillps hue bulbs

- 2 yeelight light strips

on cable, directy in the tp-link:

- apple tv hub

- samsung tv

- denon avr

- phillips hue hub

Ping:

i tried now, and when the conection drops, google ping in dead, tplink ping is dead ( since it does not allow me to conect to the admin interface, it seems consistant, assus ip responds to ping)

Not really sure about the colour, because its in a different room and by the time i got there it looked normal and internet was working again. it looses around 5 pings, 6 tops, most of the time. On rare ocassions, once or twice a day it misses more. I know 5 pings its not much, but i work from home nowdays due to the covid and its enough to kill my zoom. And it happens often enough to be extreamly annoying.

I will try changing the wi-fi settings now. I should change them on both tp-link and assus , right?

thanks

Options
Re:Tp link ac 2300 drops connection
2020-09-24 06:32:36

@PaulVo 

Hello, thanks again for the detailed info.

As per your description, when the internet drops on the A2300, you can no longer ping it, while you can still ping the Asus RT-AC66U, which means the Asus has taken over the DHCP server in the network. It is suggested to disable the smart DHCP feature on the Asus if it has one and ensure the DHCP server is disabled, then set a static IP address for it.

BTW, is it possible to set the Asus as the main router and change the A2300 to be the repeater to give it a go?

BTW, what is the current hardware and firmware of this A2300?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 649

Replies: 3