On switching to access point mode, router mode wifi network stays available

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-18 11:25:39 - last edited 2020-10-19 07:39:35
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.7

Hi,

I set up Deco in router mode successfully with 2 Deco M5s, a base wired to router (Vodafone) and a second connected wirelessly. I then switched to Acess Mode. The M5s rebooted and the mode reported as Access Point .

However, the network created in router mode remains avaiilable and my original wifi network is not extended. (My second M5 is in my upstairs office which had poor wifi signal. WIth the M5s in access mode, the network created in router mode is available in the office with strong signal and my Vodafone wifi network has the same poor signal as before.

Has anyone else faced this?

I would appreciate any guidance on this, as my preference is to extend my original Vodafone wifi network.

Issue persists after further reboot of M5s, or with just a single M5 configurtion,

Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:On switching to access point mode, router mode wifi network stays available-Solution
2020-10-19 07:39:30 - last edited 2020-10-19 07:39:35

@johnmcs 

Hello, there seems to be some misunderstanding on the Deco working mode, the Deco M5 can either be set up as a router or an Access Point, it cannot be configured as a range extender for your Vodafone Wi-Fi router. As you can see, also, Deco can only build up a mesh network with Deco itself, it cannot build up a mesh network with non-Deco devices.

What you need is actually a range extender, but not a Deco mesh.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:On switching to access point mode, router mode wifi network stays available-Solution
2020-10-19 07:39:30 - last edited 2020-10-19 07:39:35

@johnmcs 

Hello, there seems to be some misunderstanding on the Deco working mode, the Deco M5 can either be set up as a router or an Access Point, it cannot be configured as a range extender for your Vodafone Wi-Fi router. As you can see, also, Deco can only build up a mesh network with Deco itself, it cannot build up a mesh network with non-Deco devices.

What you need is actually a range extender, but not a Deco mesh.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 665

Replies: 1