VR400 - LAN ports disconnecting - now also dropping WLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-18 23:18:03 - last edited 2020-09-24 09:21:49
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.5.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 200706 Rel.72720n

Hi,

I just got a new VR400 v2 replacing the old VR400 v1 after making RMA. But the problem is still the same with brand new unit - VR400 is dropping out of LAN-connection, closing (or something) the LAN port/s.

I have 2 x PCs connected via LAN-ports (LAN1 and LAN4), Wifi is connected to several devices 5-7, but those devices are not usually used at the same time as playing some games with two PCs. Internet connection is VDSL2.

Usually the LAN1 port dies first, before that LAN (internet connection) is speeding down and pings are very high, connection is unstable. Propably the VR400 unit is getting hot and throttling (if that's even possible). Soon, also LAN4 port dies. Switchign RJ45 cables to ports LAN2 and LAN3 sometimes helps, at least to get internet connection back to computers. Usually we just have to reboot and after rebooting wait for a while to get connections back (unit is cooling down?). 

- our temperature at home is about +22 celcius

- unit is on the table, nothing covers it, it even doesn't have dust in it (the new unit is about 7 days old).

Does anyone else have samekind of problems, or do you use it for gaming at all with multiple computers connected via LAN-ports?

And yes, Wifi is working on the meantime when LAN-ports die, usually at least.

If you have any tips to get it working more reliable (more than placing the unit in the fridgerator) I'm all ears. I have tested Asus units, but they get too hot and stops working.

Or is it the only option to get a real VDSL2 modem and use Wifi-router to get things working properly... I haven't tested to use VR400 only as a VDSL-modem because those antennas are not detachable and I think that if it has 4-ports those all should be able to be sed simultaneosly for gaming, surfing the internet, iptv etc.

Options
5 Reply
Re:VR400 - LAN ports disconnecting (dying)
2020-09-24 02:56:51

@Restive 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Did you get the issue fixed?

If not, please help us check the following information and we would like to forward your case to our senior engineers:

1. Who is your internet provider and at the back of the Archer VR600, which port is connected to the ISP?
  2. When the LAN connection disconnected, is there any error message, and what is the IP address then?
  3. Did the unstable LAN connection happen to a specific computer, or randomly on both computes?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-09-24 08:25:34

Hi, @Sunshine 

I simulated intensive gaming for 2-3 hours test with VR400 v2 (this is second unit that replaced VR400 v1). I was not able to get the problem occur during simulation program. 

Problems occured mainly during more warmer days, so I expect that the unit is just getting too hot and that's why the LAN-ports disconnected from the computer/s.

Yesterday,  the 2,4 GHz WLAN all in sudden dropped out - devices couldn't log in. No intensive internet use, one device on Netflix via 2,4 GHz.

1) iPad 2018 says "wrong password" - ACK (or something found in the log)

2) Samsung S10 - can found the 2,4 GHz WLAN - can't get it connected

3) Huawei Nova 3 - can found the 2,4 GHz WLAN - can't get it connected

4) Fujitsu Siemens - can found the 2,4 GHz WLAN - can't get it connected

5) LG Smart TV - same thing

Switched to the 5 GHz WLAN worked like a charm during the dropp out of 2,4 GHz. 2,4 WLAN didn't recover even with the reboot, I made factory reset and then I got the 2,4 GHz WLAN back.

Today - I'm used WLAN with 1 x PC (Fujitsu), 1 x Phone (S10) and LAN through 1 x computer. 

- 5 GHz WLAN dropped after 2 hours of video seminar - LAN is working.

- 2,4 GHz WLAN seems to working when I switched my S10 to that

Things getting very weird with the brand new device... 

BUT what I found is that the unit got EXTREMELY HOT - I could not touch it wit my barehand during intensive use.

- I compared the VR400 to my friend VR600 and the cooling is more efficient in the VR600.

- I placed two Lego Duplo 2x8 bricks under the VR400, it cools down the unit a little bit but is not the problem solver...

I'll switch once more to my friends brand new VR600 and I'll try if the network, including WLAN stays enabled.

I think this will not help because the network from the ISP is working - because now only 5 GHz or 2,4 GHz WLAN is dropping

- ISP is Telia Finland

- I'm using light cable connection, which is shared via phone line to the appartments (so the connection is via DSL-port)

- computers are connected at the moment to LAN1 and LAN4

Archer VR400 - Network Map

--> now during writing this there's been about 30 min break in the video conference also the 5 GHz WLAN is getting back online.

Do you really, really think that there's something another problem that overheating. I have used Asus Devices for some years back and those had exatly the same symptoms when those got overheated.

Henri

Options
2020-09-24 09:09:27

I just switched to borrowed (brand new) VR600 device. Same setup as in the morning, factory settings.

If VR600 keeps connections up and running then the problem is in VR400 v2 unit - @Sunshine or can you think anything else?

Options
Re:VR400 - LAN ports disconnecting - now also dropping WLAN
2021-09-11 08:36:56

@Rétif s'il vous plaît je veux le lien de cette version de firmware 

0.5.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 200706 Rel.72720n

Options
Re:VR400 - LAN ports disconnecting - now also dropping WLAN
2021-11-09 10:34:01
I have same problème
Options

Information

Helpful: 0