Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
45 Reply
Re: Ping spike and packet loss on M9 Deco
2020-10-30 13:55:30

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hello and thanos for reply , i will give you screenshots tomorrow, today i cannot, but what I've done is seted up the decos in one room close each other, connect by wifi backhaul.

Deco app shows 3 bars signal (both decos) - but the drops still exist:(

Options
2020-10-30 20:46:02

The problem is still relevant and none of the proposed solutions work. Playing online with the Deco M9 is now difficult, too much packet loss and ping spikes.

Options
2020-10-31 16:21:28 - last edited 2020-10-31 20:50:32

The standard troubleshooting technique for packet loss and ping spikes is to check hardware utilization.

You can login to M9 Main Deco node through its IP address, with web browser, and can see CPU and memory utilization. From there, you can select other Deco nodes and see their utilization. The page is dynamically updated.

If you notice Deco device hitting close to 100% of CPU load or memory utilization during ping spike and packet loss, you now have what to discuss with Deco support.

This is what I see on mine mostly idle M9Plus Deco node with single user streaming Netflix.

This is what happens with Deco node utilization when I open Deco app on Android smartphone.

Yes, you've got it right: just by opening Deco app on smartphone Main Deco node gets hit hard for a brief period of time. Still fine for my network, as it is quite underutilized. Might be different with yours, worth to check.

Options
2020-10-31 21:33:37

@TP-Link_Deco 

1)

2) No it's just opposite: 

X20s are solid green:  Topology 2: Main deco (router mode)  )))((( 2nd and 3rd

flashing red: Topology 1: Main deco (router mode) -- > SG1008D -- > 2nd and 3rd decos

3) seted up every deco 1 meter close to each other 

4) every deco 3 bars 

Options
2020-11-02 08:11:57

@3skrt 

Thank you again for all the details.

To locate this issue and try to fix it, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Options
2020-11-07 17:27:42

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hello, 

Since I posted this message, my problem is not resolved and it is getting worse as this screenshot shows. Impossible to do anything.

1. I have 3 Deco devices (1 main Deco in the living room directly connected to my modem, 1 satellite Deco in the corridor and 1 satellite Deco in my bedroom). 

The most distant satellite is in my bedroom, and it connects directly to the main Deco in the living room, in the app I get two bars. He doesn't want to connect to the Deco in the hallway, which is however closer.

2. When the internet goes offline, my satellite Deco in my bedroom is flashing red. And, when i have only ping spikes it stays in solid green. To make it normal again, I just have to wait. Restarting all of my Deco devices doesn't permanently fix the problem.

3. The client is connected to the Deco satellite in my room in 5 Ghz. I have no problem with my fiber network. 

I have already tried disabling Beamforming, but that does not solve my problem.

Thanks for your help,

Options
2020-11-07 17:33:44

@HelloRabbit 

What little helped me, try to lower the range of DHCP 

In my case it was seted up for too many clients, another try to disable 2.4 ghz and use only 5ghz  if u can. 

Options
2020-11-07 18:14:00

@3skrt 

Hello, 

I will try your solutions, thanks ! It's a shame for a product so expensive that so many of us have this problem.. 

Options
2020-11-07 20:08:14 - last edited 2020-11-07 20:09:19

Sorry if this has been tried. But have you tried running a long network cable temporarily to the decos so they are directly connected to the router, to see if you get drops? It may rule out whether it is a problem with the decos talking to eachother wirelessly. If it works cabled in, it will tell you it is a problem with the deco positioning.

I know it's not ideal, but it would only be temporary to help identify the issue.

Options
2020-11-09 11:28:40

@HelloRabbit 

Hello, thanks a lot for the details.

Just to confirm, how far between the bedroom and the living room? Is the 2nd satellite Deco between the main and the 3rd? Try to relocate the main and the 3rd nodes, find a location that the 3rd cannot "see" the main, then confirm if the 3rd can connect to the 2nd.

How often does the disconnect issue happen? May I know who is your ISP? Please connect your computer to the modem directly and ensure the network is always stable. Try different cat5e or cat6 cable between the modem and the main Deco.

Good day.

Options
Related Articles