Bandwidth control with primary wifi router and extender router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-22 11:16:52 - last edited 2020-09-23 07:41:07
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I am using Tp-Link Archer C5 v4 as primary router and Tp-link C20 v4 as the wifi extender router.

Everything works good.

But had a query regarding bandwidth control.

My internet speed is 150 Mbps.

Archer C5 gives me max speed of around 140-145 Mpbs

Archer C20 max gives me around 80-85 Mbps

Some devices are connecting to C5 (primary) and some devices are connecting to C20 (extender)

So, if i need to use bandwidth controls to limit the bandwidth alloted to each device, should i do it only primary router (C5)?

since few devices are connecting to C20 which only allows 80-85 Mbps, will it be tricky to configure this only on the primary router because i need to define a max speed.

Is is possible to configure on the primary router about the bandwidth that can be allocated for the C20 (Extender)?

Since DHCP is only configured on the primary and is the master, the ip address reservation has to be defined on the primary.

can i configure bandwidth as follows:

1 single fixed device to connect to C5 only for 60 Mbps (140 minus 80)

multiple devices connecting to C20 to be distributed across 3-4 devices spanning 80 Mbps

Is such a setup possible?

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Bandwidth control with primary wifi router and extender router-Solution
2020-09-23 07:39:29 - last edited 2020-09-23 07:41:07

@Pat28 

Hello,

As you mentioned already, you need to configure the bandwidth control on the gateway router, which is the C5 V4 (if it supports the bandwidth control).

As for the second inquiry, you can only set a bandwidth within the maximum speed which is 80-85Mbps for those clients connected to the repeater, otherwise, it may have no limit for those clients connected to it.

BTW, I believe both the Archer C5 V4 and the C20 V5 are customized versions for the local ISP market and it is suggested to contact the ISP for more inquiries.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Bandwidth control with primary wifi router and extender router-Solution
2020-09-23 07:39:29 - last edited 2020-09-23 07:41:07

@Pat28 

Hello,

As you mentioned already, you need to configure the bandwidth control on the gateway router, which is the C5 V4 (if it supports the bandwidth control).

As for the second inquiry, you can only set a bandwidth within the maximum speed which is 80-85Mbps for those clients connected to the repeater, otherwise, it may have no limit for those clients connected to it.

BTW, I believe both the Archer C5 V4 and the C20 V5 are customized versions for the local ISP market and it is suggested to contact the ISP for more inquiries.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1938

Replies: 1