Deco M9+ Ikea Tradfri gateway connection issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-24 08:31:56
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi!

I recently bought an TP Link Deco M9 system to improve the WiFi coverage at my home. I already had some Ikea tradfri light bulbs, power outlets and so on, all connected to a Ikea Tradfri gateway.

Over all the setup works as intended when it comes to automatization etc.

However, I am not able to remote control my devices via the Ikea app Or Apple Home(kit) unless my device is connected to the mesh node to which the Ikea Gateway is connected to via Ethernet cable.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any other information regarding this?

Options
13 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ Ikea Tradfri gateway connection issue
2020-09-29 12:04:26

@Matsla 

Hello, thanks for bringing this up.

May I know which Deco does the Ikea Gateway is connected to via Ethernet cable, the main Deco, or the satellite ones? Is the main Deco working as a router or AP? 

What is the detailed network diagram/layout? How many Deco M9 units do you have in total and how they are connected? On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul.

BTW, are these Ikea tradfri light bulbs and power outlets are connected to the Deco 2.4GHz network, can you control them correctly when in the local network? When they connected to one Deco node, while the Ikea Gateway connected to another, will the IP address on those bulbs/outlets be in the same IP subnet as the Ikea Gateway? Connect a PC or laptop to the same Deco as the Gateway is connected to, try to ping those bulbs/outlets to see if you can get a reply.

Are there any other smart devices in the Deco network, are they working correctly? Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-10-07 15:29:09

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi! Sorry for a late answer.

The Ikea Gateway is connected to one of the satellites via Ethernet cable. The mail Deco is acting as router (as recommended by my ISP).

The network layout is as follows;

The system consists of three Deco's, one main and two satellites. Main Deco acting as router and connected to incoming fiber via Ethernet. The satellites are connected to the main Deco via WiFi, the main Deco serves both satellites.

When it comes to the last question, I cannot see the bulbs and outlets in the Deco app and therefore I dont know how to ping them (you need an ip address for this, right?), I can see the Ikea Gateway and can see that it has an ip address and it is also possible to ping the gateway when connected to another satellite. I tried searcing for how to ping the smart devices but couldn't find anything.

There are currntly no other smart devices conected to the Deco network.

Options
2020-10-12 00:54:45

@Matsla 

Hello,

This issue may need to escalate to our engineers and they will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.           

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
2020-10-13 14:59:13

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi!

I willing to talk to your engineers in this matter and they are free to contact me (by mail I guess?)

Br

//Mats

Options
2020-10-14 09:58:40

@Matsla 

Hi, yes, we have sent you an email days ago while you didn't respond. Please kindly check your email box and our engineers would like to help you out.

Options
2020-12-13 15:51:18

@Matsla  

Did you find a solution to this problem? I'm experiencing the exact same thing and have the same setup. Though I also have a Philips Hue bridge connected to the same satellite as the Ikea hub, and the Hue bridge can be connected from any M9 satellite. Very wierd. Seems that the IKEA hub and the Hue bridge has different means of exposing themselves on the network?

Options
2020-12-13 19:45:48

@Buffel2k2 

Hi!

The problem magically dissapeared at least  when being inside the house, however, being outside, away from the network then it does not work!

However, the last couple of days I have been experiencing some problems, for exempel if I move around my house in lets say the evening the apps will not be able to reach the gateway but if I go to sleep it usually works in the morning.

There seem to be something that prevents or at least delays the connection to the gateway!

Options
2020-12-15 12:55:26

@Matsla Wierd. Sounds kind of like you´re now most frequently connected to the "right" Deco satellite and that's why it's working most of the time... I tried to unassign the static IP for the IKEA hub and it seems to be working better, but it's too early to tell... Did you get any help from the TP-Link tech people?

Options
2020-12-15 15:12:35 - last edited 2020-12-15 15:14:14

@Buffel2k2 

After i little bit more investigation it seem to be as follows;

• Satellite #1 connected to Ikea gateway, works as intended, remote controlled and so on
  • Satellite #2, works as intended, remote controlled and so on
  • Main Deco, does not work as intended, remote controll works after a long time (not exactly measured but may be several hours)

Whem moving around the house and switching between the satellites there seem to be no issues but as soon as a device is connected to the main Deco the problem arises, also it is not possible to remote controll from outside the house, when I'm at a distance.

I did get a response from the tech guys at TP link only this it was by then everything was working ok but now part of the issue is back.

Options
2020-12-15 15:20:46
Hi! This issue somehow disappeared but has now come back, see further discussion in this thread!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2998

Replies: 13

Related Articles