Cannot open up internet when connecting TP-Link Archer 50 to BT Openreach broadband.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cannot open up internet when connecting TP-Link Archer 50 to BT Openreach broadband.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-24 09:49:16 - last edited 2020-09-25 06:59:16
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I purchased an Archer AX50 dual band router to replace BT Home Hub. BT Home Hub connects to BT OpenReach white-box broadband modem straight from the phone socket. The TP-Link device connects quickly and very easily, with the WAN connection in place from the white-box openreach broadband modem to the TP LInk wifi router. All the lights come on which is great. Yet, the internet connection remains closed. I cannot figure it out and suspect that i have to somehow configure the openreach white-box modem/router to enable Archer box to gain access to the internet? Dynamic IP is enabled. Guidance please from any other BT customer. My TP-Link does not have a direct DSL connector so this is more about using the WAN extension to get wireless on TP-Line kit. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot open up internet when connecting TP-Link Archer 50 to BT Openreach broadband. -Solution
2020-09-25 06:58:56 - last edited 2020-09-25 06:59:16

@phope1875 

Hello, thanks for bringing this up.

Do you have internet access when you connect the BT OpenReach white-box broadband modem directly to your computer? If yes, there should be no issue when connecting the AX50 to it. If you haven't tried this, please confirm this first as we can verify if there is any restriction or limitation on your line. If there is no internet access on the computer when the modem is connected directly, while it works when the BT Home Hub is connected, there might be restrictions on your line and it is suggested to contact your ISP to release any binding.

Please refer to the below troubleshooting guide to confirm some basic settings again on the AX50 if the internet is working fine when the modem is connected to your computer directly:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1556/

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot open up internet when connecting TP-Link Archer 50 to BT Openreach broadband. -Solution
2020-09-25 06:58:56 - last edited 2020-09-25 06:59:16

@phope1875 

Hello, thanks for bringing this up.

Do you have internet access when you connect the BT OpenReach white-box broadband modem directly to your computer? If yes, there should be no issue when connecting the AX50 to it. If you haven't tried this, please confirm this first as we can verify if there is any restriction or limitation on your line. If there is no internet access on the computer when the modem is connected directly, while it works when the BT Home Hub is connected, there might be restrictions on your line and it is suggested to contact your ISP to release any binding.

Please refer to the below troubleshooting guide to confirm some basic settings again on the AX50 if the internet is working fine when the modem is connected to your computer directly:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1556/

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Cannot open up internet when connecting TP-Link Archer 50 to BT Openreach broadband.
2020-09-26 14:24:38

@Kevin_Z very kind to respond. I have managed to get it working follow both your directions and those from an old 2018 posting on a similar topic. I have it working yet the TP LInk extenders (i have 4 throughout the house) do not hold much of the connection - dropping constantly event tho only 6-8 metres away from the router. In fact, as we live oin a single story property, some of the extenders are further away yet all are within 5-6 paces of each other - i thought they would bridge to each other but doesnt seem to be working very well. 

Anyhow - the main problem is fixed. thank you.  

Options
Re:Cannot open up internet when connecting TP-Link Archer 50 to BT Openreach broadband.
2020-09-27 06:03:36

@phope1875 

Hello, glad to hear that the internet is up on the main router now.

As for the extender issue, it is suggested to check some other topics on the below community:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/77

Good days.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3371

Replies: 3