Archer A7 device names keep changing and not staying in parental controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-25 17:05:14
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20200721 rel.40773

I have an Archer A7 (AC1750) and am using both the Android version of the Tether App (on Pixel phone) as well as the web version tplink.net to manage devices and parental controls.  My wife also has the Tether app installed on her Pixel phone using my login.

I have named each client on my network and have set some clients to parental control profiles.  For some reason each day, the device names get all scrambled.  I can tell because of the MAC address which are fixed.  In addition to the names swapping, the clients within each parental control group change around (sometime between groups, sometime out of all groups).  I notice this happens more after my wife has used the Tether app.  Could it be that her use of the app with my login is causing the naming confusion?  Should she create her own login and bind it to our device when using Tether?

I have tried to reboot the device and uninstalled/reinstalled Tether on both phone.

I need this fixed as the parental controls are useless when the client leaves the group on its own.

Separate question, I have also set notifications when specific clients join/leave my wifi router, but the names that pop up are the default device names, not the ones that I custom set.  Is there a way to get the custom names to pop up?

Please advise.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer A7 device names keep changing and not staying in parental controls
2020-09-27 07:51:43

@jchan24 

Hi, thanks for reporting this issue to the community.

Did you change the device name on your Android Tether app? Can I have the Android version of your phone as well as the Tether app version on it?

Do you mean the Parental Control setting will not take effect once the device name is changed? While I guess that, as the MAC address won't change even though the named changed, can you please confirm again? Or do you mean that the device names switch automatically between the devices in the Parental Control list? For example, Guest 1 for device A and Guest 2 for device B, after some period of time, it switched to Guest 1 for device B and Guest 2 for Device A?

As for the notification, do you mean connection alerts? Does it show the default name of the device?

Options
2020-09-27 20:50:46

@Kevin_Z Hi Kevin, thanks for researching this...it's frustrating to have to check the parental controls daily.

Our phones are running on Android 11 updated 9/5/2020

Tether version is 1.0.15 Build20200721 rel. 40773

Your example is correct.  The clients will resign themselves and swap names and I can tell because of the MAC addresses.  The name change is in the client list screen as well as in the parent group.  In addition to the names swapping, clients will appear/disappear in parental control groups.  Again, I can tell because of the MACs.  So every day, I have to go in to reset them.  I often do this on my Tether app, but have also tried from my desktop browser.  I know that the changes I make stick because the name changes and parental group assignments are there if I check shortly thereafter.  Sometime later, after pausing/unpausing, client joining/leaving wifi, that is when the trouble happens.

With regard to notification on connecting clients, yes, it only shows the default client names, not the ones I have set.  This is of limited use because my children's school devices are named similarly, and I'm not sure I have permissions to change the names on the chromebook itself.  Is it possible to have Tether use the custom client names instead?

Thanks again.

Kevin_Z wrote

@jchan24 

Hi, thanks for reporting this issue to the community.

Did you change the device name on your Android Tether app? Can I have the Android version of your phone as well as the Tether app version on it?

Do you mean the Parental Control setting will not take effect once the device name is changed? While I guess that, as the MAC address won't change even though the named changed, can you please confirm again? Or do you mean that the device names switch automatically between the devices in the Parental Control list? For example, Guest 1 for device A and Guest 2 for device B, after some period of time, it switched to Guest 1 for device B and Guest 2 for Device A?

As for the notification, do you mean connection alerts? Does it show the default name of the device?

Options
2020-09-28 07:30:57

@jchan24 

Hi, thank you very much for all the detailed info you've provided now.

This issue may need to escalate to our engineers and they will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 592

Replies: 3

Related Articles