How to set up dual router with Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-25 20:46:31
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all

I'm looking at the Deco x60 for an all house mesh setup (my current router setup is not cutting it with the amount of connected devices and the sq footage of the house.

I've set up a dual router system with one router being VPN enabled (Linksys DD-WRT). What would be the best way to accomplish this with the Deco x60 system? I also plan on using a switch to add more ports since I have several hardwired devices.

Would it be:  Modem > Deco > switch > VPN Enabled Router?

Any configurations I should consider? I'm a relative newbie when it comes to networking so any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to set up dual router with Deco
2020-09-29 11:43:06

@Pikes 

Hello, may I know your current network layout? Is there a VPN server in your local network?

If you want to allocate all the LAN devices to the same network, you need to avoid double NAT in the network, in your Modem > Deco > switch > VPN Enabled Router network, there will be double NAT, the devices connected to the Deco network may fail to communicate with those connected to the VPN router. it would be better then switching the Deco to AP mode and connect in this way Modem > VPN Enabled Router > switch > Deco (AP mode).

However, if there is no concern about whether all the clients need to be in the same LAN network, you can still use the layout Modem > Deco > switch > VPN Enabled Router.

Hope this makes sense, but let me know if it is not, thanks a lot~

Options
Re:How to set up dual router with Deco
2020-11-01 01:44:08

@Pikes 

Unless one has more devices than one DHCP server can handle, you're best to have a single router ... and that typically would be the device which provides the VPN service.

See the setup I describe in reply #377 here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/98898?page=27 (near the end of page 27 in that thread).

If one only plans to have the same number of wired devices as you have Deco nodes (since they only have one 'extra' port for each), then using a Deco as the only router would be fine.  However, with multiple non-wireless devices, I would suggest using the Deco mesh in AP mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1464

Replies: 2