Setting up DECO M4R (M3 KIT) with no DHCP Server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-26 21:18:30 - last edited 2020-09-27 09:19:35
Model: Deco M3  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, I recently bought the DECO M3 kit (it comes with 1 x M4R router and 1 x M3W mesh range extender) in order to update my current Wi-Fi network. I haven't received it yet, so I can't tell what is the Hardware version or either the Firmware version.

However, I have a Cujo Smart Firewall  which I'm willing to keep that requires that the router turns off its DHCP server. I couldn't find anything regarding turning off the DHCP server of the DECO M4R router on the internet, so I'd like to ask if is there an option to do so via a new M4 firmware and/or web interface, and, also, I'd like to know if turning off the DHCP server, the mesh network would suffer any set back.

Thank you.

Alex

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Setting up DECO M4R (M3 KIT) with no DHCP Server-Solution
2020-09-27 09:18:26 - last edited 2020-09-27 09:19:35

@AlexCouto 

Hello,

Theoretically, the DHCP server is disabled automatically when the Deco M4R is working in AP mode and there is no option for us to manually disable or enable it. If the main Deco detects the connection is dropped, it will automatically enable its own DHCP server so that you still can manage it with the Deco app. If it then detects the connection is back, it will turn off its own DHCP server again.

May this explain, but let me know if it is not, thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Setting up DECO M4R (M3 KIT) with no DHCP Server-Solution
2020-09-27 09:18:26 - last edited 2020-09-27 09:19:35

@AlexCouto 

Hello,

Theoretically, the DHCP server is disabled automatically when the Deco M4R is working in AP mode and there is no option for us to manually disable or enable it. If the main Deco detects the connection is dropped, it will automatically enable its own DHCP server so that you still can manage it with the Deco app. If it then detects the connection is back, it will turn off its own DHCP server again.

May this explain, but let me know if it is not, thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Setting up DECO M4R (M3 KIT) with no DHCP Server
2020-09-27 09:47:31 - last edited 2020-09-27 09:49:40

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hello, thank you for your reply.

If I set up M4R in AP mode it will still work with the M3W node as a Mesh Network? 

I don't want a router - repeater network design, as I have one already and it's not working. 

Thank you in advance. 
Alex

Options
Re:Setting up DECO M4R (M3 KIT) with no DHCP Server
2020-09-28 10:51:24

@AlexCouto 

Yes, Deco M4R is compatible with Deco M3W, and they can build up the same mesh network in Router modem as well as in AP mode.

For more details about this, you may refer to the below article:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2248/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 767

Replies: 3

Related Articles