Is my set up correct? All decos are wired directly to wall cat 5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-28 00:04:03 - last edited 2020-09-29 11:30:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I have 5 decos m5s, I have my main ISP modem/router connect to the main deco Ethernet, then I'm running Ethernet from the second port in the deco to my network switch, as I have cat6 jacks built in my whole home. (I did it this way because it's the only way I can access my AirPlay etc is if the deco is sending signal to the network switch and not my modem, the Rest of the decos 4 in total, are plugged in different rooms but are Wired directly to  my cat 5 jacks in the wall, 

so to recap. ISP modem plugged to main Deco, main  deco plugged to network switch,  the the rest of the decos are hardwired via Ethernet in seperate rooms. 

the app says I am I router mode,  I do notice when I am in FaceTime and walk into another room it'll drop connection for a couple seconds so not sure if my set up is correct  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is my set up correct? All decos are wired directly to wall cat 5-Solution
2020-09-29 11:29:44 - last edited 2020-09-29 11:30:45

@Rsb88 

Hello, thanks for asking.

May I confirm some basic info and we can see if we can solve it?
1. How are the 5 Deco M5 units connected in the network, are they connected to each other via Wi-Fi or Ethernet Backhaul? On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul.
2. What kind of service or application will suffer from the disconnection when the devices are moving? Only FaceTime is affected? Are you using FaceTime on a laptop or phone?
3. Ensure the firmware of the Deco M5 is up-to-date.

BTW, what is the distance between each Deco node? Please confirm if your phone or laptop is switching to new Deco nodes when FaceTime drops. On the Dashboard page of the Deco app, tap the problematic laptop or phone, click on the Settings icon at the upper right corner, and you can see which Deco the laptop/phone is connected to and which Wi-Fi band the laptop/phone is using.

Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Is my set up correct? All decos are wired directly to wall cat 5-Solution
2020-09-29 11:29:44 - last edited 2020-09-29 11:30:45

@Rsb88 

Hello, thanks for asking.

May I confirm some basic info and we can see if we can solve it?
1. How are the 5 Deco M5 units connected in the network, are they connected to each other via Wi-Fi or Ethernet Backhaul? On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on the satellite Deco, and you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the satellite Deco is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means the satellite Deco is using Ethernet backhaul.
2. What kind of service or application will suffer from the disconnection when the devices are moving? Only FaceTime is affected? Are you using FaceTime on a laptop or phone?
3. Ensure the firmware of the Deco M5 is up-to-date.

BTW, what is the distance between each Deco node? Please confirm if your phone or laptop is switching to new Deco nodes when FaceTime drops. On the Dashboard page of the Deco app, tap the problematic laptop or phone, click on the Settings icon at the upper right corner, and you can see which Deco the laptop/phone is connected to and which Wi-Fi band the laptop/phone is using.

Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 339

Replies: 1