Deco S4. How does it decide on signal source?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-28 19:10:47 - last edited 2023-11-01 06:11:19
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently installed 3 Deco S4s. 
I have one in the kitchen connected to my modem. This is the main Deco.
I then have one in front living room that uses the kitchen as the signal source.

The 3rd Deco is in the upstairs office, almost above the living room Deco.

However with the 3rd Deco, I am not getting anywhere near the same connect speed as the other two (200mbps versus 80-100mbps).
I notice that upstairs Deco is getting its signal from the kitchen Deco which is further away than the living room Deco.

My question is, what governs which Deco is used as signal source?
I would expect Kitchen > Living Room > Upstairs 
And not
Kitchen > Living Room
Kitchen > Upstairs

Will this chain change dynamically or is there a way of nominating where the Deco gets its source from?

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco S4. How does it decide on signal source?-Solution
2020-09-29 07:43:20 - last edited 2023-11-01 06:11:35

@Goatboy 

Update:

Hi, The official firmware doesn't support setting connection preference yet but you can install the beta firmware here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/624082?replyId=1272768

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Deco S4. How does it decide on signal source?
2020-09-28 22:05:17

@Goatboy Following on from this I can now see it is a widespread issue. This is not a true mesh system and is not fit for purpose. I have requested a refund from Amazon and will be returning. One day of frustration was enough for me, let alone years that some of your other customers have had to endure. 

Options
Re:Deco S4. How does it decide on signal source?-Solution
2020-09-29 07:43:20 - last edited 2023-11-01 06:11:35

@Goatboy 

Update:

Hi, The official firmware doesn't support setting connection preference yet but you can install the beta firmware here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/624082?replyId=1272768

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-29 13:25:48

@TP-Link_Deco Thanks for the response. When I first set it up, I did noticed the 3rd was connecting to the 2nd and I was getting extremely fast speeds all around the house. Then I needed to undo the set up and start again.
It was then I noticed it was only defaulting to the main/1st Deco.
Hard-coding it like this with a threshold is suboptimal because my home office has the 3rd Deco located in it but laptops etc achieve faster connections by connecting directly to the 1st or 2nd Decos (I switch the 3rd off to test this), and when I connect them to the 3rd Deco that is within touching distance of my chair, they have a slower connection. This is very counterintuitive. 
It is almost is my house is too small to take advantage of 3 Decos.

I have tried moving further away....I have even stuck 2 and 3 next to each other but 3 still looks for 1. 

I have not returned it yet....I have a further 12 days. My advice to you guys would be to keep up the communication and allow the app to choose the preferred source for each Deco.

Thanks

Options
2020-09-29 13:28:26

@TP-Link_Deco One other question if I may. As of today, if the threshold is exceeded, will the 3rd automatically switch to using the 2nd as the source?

Options
2020-09-30 06:47:09

@Goatboy 

Hi, thanks a lot for your kind update and it's glad to hear that you haven't returned it.

Just to confirm, do you mean the 3rd node was connecting to the 2nd when you set them up in the very beginning? May I know is there a reason why you reset the system? Is there any change with the locations of the three nodes?

If possible, it is suggested to reconfigure them from scratch again and see if the 3rd can connect to the 2nd.

Options
2020-09-30 11:04:21

@TP-Link_Deco I probably should not have started again. The reason why I did was because I was not sure I had selected the correct Deco model when I did the set up.
Yesterday, I did the following.
I moved Deco 3 as far from Deco 1 as possible (in fact I only moved it about 1.5 metres because I could not move any more).
I moved Deco 2 about 1 metre further into centre of the room on the floor below Deco 3. Again, I was limited on distance due to cable length etc.
I then rebooted Deco 3.

It connected to Deco 2 upon start-up and has remained connected.

So I think your point about threshold is the key here. 
The Decos default to 1 if it's within acceptable range. I suspect in a very large house, they would not behave like this and behave as customers want them to.
I still think adding the flexibility in the app to select source would be a good addition. I believe other mesh systems offer this.

Will Deco 3 remain connected to Deco 2 forever now or if the signals fluctuate, is it possible it could look for Deco 1 again?

Is that how the system works or is it hard-coded to stick to the original paired Deco?

Thanks

Options
2020-10-10 06:27:35

@Goatboy 

Hello, thanks so much for your valued update.

As per the Deco mesh mechanism, the RE Deco nodes will prefer to connect to the main Deco node if it is in the main's wifi range, and that's why we suggest you relocate the Deco nodes.

The good news is that we have already forwarded this request to our developers and they have accepted our suggestions to add the feature which will allow Deco administrators to choose the signal source between each Deco nodes, you may kindly wait and keep an eye on your Deco app in case there is any update in the near future.

Thanks a lot again for your understanding, good days.

Options
2020-10-24 12:19:18

@TP-Link_Deco I had the problem of the master connecting with 2 and 3. I wanted 2 to connect with the master and 3 to connect with 2 because of the week signal on 3 as a result of the distance of 3 from the master. This may sound crazy but  I put a metal cooking pot over the master  and  3 immediately connected with 2 which now had a weak signal. I removed the pot and everything was connected in line with good signals. 

Options
2020-10-26 12:03:39

Hi @TK469, that sounds interesting while that seems to make sense, as the mental material has interference with the Wi-Fi signal, in your case, the metal cooking pot affects or cuts the master's signal strength, then the 3rd choose to connect to the 2nd as a result.

It is glad to hear that helps to rebuild the connection. Good days. :)

Options
2021-02-21 23:53:41

@TP-Link_Deco When will this supposed firmware change be released, I have till March 9th to return my Deco s4, on top of not allowing manual channel selection, this issue will be my reason to return if I cannot properly layout my mesh system as needed for my home. This issue was brought up in September of 2020, it is now February of 2021, please provide a more accurate timeframe for "Development".  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2799

Replies: 12