AC5400 Wifi range drastically decreased after power outage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-29 01:39:28 - last edited 2021-07-12 10:39:40

We had a power outage tonight and after the network came back up the wifi range decreased to about 6 ft-10ft.   At first I thought it didn't come back up correctly.   I went upstairs and directly connected to the router.   Then I realized I could connect through wifi.   So I took my phone and loaded a wifi signal tester.   As I moved away from the router it decreased.   I was able to go downstairs and maintain signal for about a minute or two but the pings increased to about 200 ms.   I assume the unit is fried?   Has anyone else experienced this issue?   What's odd is that on a wifi list on a PC downstairs I can see the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz popup and then suddenly disappear.    On my TV downstairs almost below it, the 5 Ghz will show up and it says the signal strength is very good but it can't connect.   I turned off everything near it including hubs that direct connect to it and there is no change in its behavior.    Any help would be appreciated even if it's to say you've seen this and you know it's fried. 

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AC5400 Wifi range drastically decreased after power outage-Solution
2020-09-29 05:44:59 - last edited 2021-07-12 10:39:40

@Soire 

Hi, sorry to hear that.

Just to verify, what is the model number of the TP-Link device, is it C5400 or C5400X? How about its hardware version and its current firmware version?

Do you mean after the firmware update you even cannot see its 5GHz wireless downstairs now? Please try to change the 5GHz wireless channel and channel width to give it a go.

Meanwhile, it is suggested to modify and keep the Transmit Power as High, you may find it on the wireless settings page.

If the above doesn't work, try to reset the router to the factory and reconfigure it from scratch and confirm.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:AC5400 Wifi range drastically decreased after power outage-Solution
2020-09-29 05:44:59 - last edited 2021-07-12 10:39:40

@Soire 

Hi, sorry to hear that.

Just to verify, what is the model number of the TP-Link device, is it C5400 or C5400X? How about its hardware version and its current firmware version?

Do you mean after the firmware update you even cannot see its 5GHz wireless downstairs now? Please try to change the 5GHz wireless channel and channel width to give it a go.

Meanwhile, it is suggested to modify and keep the Transmit Power as High, you may find it on the wireless settings page.

If the above doesn't work, try to reset the router to the factory and reconfigure it from scratch and confirm.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:AC5400 Wifi range drastically decreased after power outage
2021-07-11 07:08:25 - last edited 2021-07-11 07:10:08

@Soire 

Hi, Did you ever find a fix for this? I have the same problem. Thanks!

Options
2021-07-12 10:40:11

@shawnskl 

Please confirm the basic information we asked @Soire, then we can proceed, thanks.

Options
2021-11-30 18:06:37

@Soire Same problem for me.  Wifi signal was good and now did not work beyond 10 feets.  This router is the worst I bought, QOS is not working very well, when my Xbox download an update, it suck all the bandwidth for other users in the house and I have 1 gigabytes connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1340

Replies: 4

Related Articles