Using Deco M9+ in Static Ip mode and modem in bridge mode beaks connection frequently.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Using Deco M9+ in Static Ip mode and modem in bridge mode beaks connection frequently.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-01 12:50:41
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.2

Using Deco M9+ in Static Ip mode and modem in bridge mode breaks connection frequently. 

I recently bought a new Deco M9 Plus set of 3.

Initially I set it up with the deco in dynamic ip mode and modem in router mode. 

As everything was working great but I was having double NAT issues so I decided to run the M9 Plus in Static IP and my modem in bridge mode. 

Since then I have been having constant network breaks on both WiFi and Ethernet which they resolve themselves on reboot or roughly after 10 mins but reappear after half an hour or so. 

When I try to ping my router or google via terminal on my computer the "request timed out" comes after every 7 pings or so. Which doesn't come when I configure the Static IP in my computer and put the modem in Bridge mode.

Reverting back my setup to the original setup with decos in dynamic ip mode works perfectly fine. 

Kindly help me resolve this issue so I can run my deco in Static IP and modem in bridge mode. 

Ps:- I don't wanna use AP mode on my deco.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Using Deco M9+ in Static Ip mode and modem in bridge mode beaks connection frequently.
2020-10-01 15:14:48

@DeathSwitch Why Deco M9+ in static IP mode?

I have 500/500 fiber, the ISP router in bridge mode and the Deco M9+ in router mode, no issues.

Options
Re:Using Deco M9+ in Static Ip mode and modem in bridge mode beaks connection frequently.
2020-10-01 15:49:30 - last edited 2020-10-01 15:51:33

@cacb Thank you for a quick reply. To answer your question - Because I have taken a Static IP from my ISP. So that needs to be configured and as the modem is in bridge mode, it has to be configured on the Deco. 

I am having no speed issues with my fiber 200 up and 200 down. The issue is the Internet connection both on the WiFi and Ethernet breaks frequently. Even when I ping the deco or Google it says request timed out. I've tried changing the main deco with slave deco that also doesn't work. 

Keeping deco on Dynamic IP mode and configuring the Static IP on the modem works flawless with no connection drops but then I get the double NAT issue. 

Options
2020-10-01 16:03:34

DeathSwitch wrote

@cacb because from my ISP I have taken a Static IP. So when modem is set in bridge mode the Static Ip needs to be configured in the deco. 

Is that so? Isn't it just a question of whether the WAN IP your ISP assigns to you is always the same and it really does not affect the setting on the Deco side? Maybe I don't understand this enough, but if you set the Deco back to dynamic IP, does it work and if so does it solve the problem?

Options
2020-11-22 06:48:16
omg. I have the same exact bug with Deco X20 as well... For me, the Deco X20 still does DHCP offer and even ACK DHCP requests in bridge mode after a couple hours which usually is the time when my Fios Extender DHCP lease expires and needs to request a new one. And when my extender is doing dhcp discovery, the x20 does an offer, and then hell breaks loose, and breaks my entire network... If I run the DECO in Router mode, everything works fine
Options
2021-03-15 14:56:30

Same problem... And this wrecked my network so bad... Anyone found a solution or workaround ?

cf my post detailing the issue

Options
2021-03-16 06:39:49

@tyw214 

Hi, the issue that Deco would still respond to DHCP request would be fixed in the later firmware upgrade;

and we have planned to add a DHCP server on/off switch on the access point mode.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-03-16 06:43:01

@RoomTiger I have seen your detailed issue on another post.

Both Alexandre and cacb have posted some wonderful suggestions, and you could have a try and let us know what happened later.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-03-17 09:18:20
@TP-Link Thanks. Indeed those answers were helpful, but It still does not work with modem on bridge mode (see post update). Same as OP here.
Options
2021-03-18 09:41:15

@RoomTiger 

I also have a static IP from my provider, but it is still delivered to the deco (as router) using PPPoE.

Have you tried this? Have you checked with your ISP about which connection type  you need to configure your router to?

Options
2021-03-21 13:44:53

@DeathSwitch For me the problem was a faulty bridge mode on the modem... IDK if you're in the same situation, but I thought it could be useful to share. Reverted to access point mode with the decos.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2333

Replies: 11