Problem connecting to OpenVPN server from outside network
Hello, long story short as the title states, i have setup an OpenVPN server on my Archer MR600, but i can't connect to it from an outside network, from a device in LAN there's no problem.
I'll try to list the best i can what i've tried so far.
1) First off all, i have updated the device's firmware, not much choice there as there's only 2 versions, the one i had and the newer one.
2) I have setup DDNS with TPLink's provider, and it works fine, i can nslookup the domain and resolve to the correct public ip that i see as the WAN IP on the status tab, which means that no heavy NAT is going on from my ISP, although i can't ping it as ICMP pings from outside are currently blocked.
3)I've followed this guide from TP-link's support Faq to setup the OpenVPN server, i went with the defaults, UDP on port 1194 except for selecting Internet and Home Network as Client Access
4) I've Synced the system's time to Internet
5) I would assume that port forwarding/triggering wouldn't be of much help as
- The OpenVPN server is running on my MR600 so i wouldn't even know which device to forward to
- The web interface won't allow me to forward the external port in use by OpenVPN either way
6) I've tried to Wireshark the traffic on devices in LAN and outside, when in LAN the transaction goes smoothly, my local machine contacts my public ip and from there all communications take place between my machine and the local interface of the gateway (in my case the MR600 is also the gateway, i have no other routers/modems on my network). When i monitor the packet traffic from a network outside i can see my requests being sent to the public ip that my DDNS domain is resolving to, but no response is given, which after 60 seconds causes a TLS Handshake fail.
7) I have also tried to fully disable IPv4 Firewall on the MR600, to no success
My hypothesis would be that the device is discarding incoming traffic on the specified port, or even worse that the outside traffic isn't reaching it. Any ideas as to why this could be the case? And how i could check as the Administration Tools Log isn't of much help.