OpenVPN on IPad Pro not connecting to VPN server on Archer C5400x

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-10 19:27:08 - last edited 2021-07-29 07:07:32
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20191223 rel.73956(4555)

I am trying to set up a VPN connection on my iPad Pro via OpneVPN to be able to access my PC from outside my home network with Microsoft RD. I have set up the VPN server on the router but when trying to connect from the ipad i get message saying there was an error attempting to connect to the selected serve.

Any ideeas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OpenVPN on IPad Pro not connecting to VPN server on Archer C5400x-Solution
2021-07-29 07:07:26 - last edited 2021-07-29 07:07:32

@holycima 

Hi, are you able to login to the router web or ping the IP address of the router after connecting to the VPN server? If you can ping the router IP from the outside network, that means the settings about OpenVPN on the router are correct, and the router doesn't block anything now. 

It is suggested to check and review the firewall settings on the local device connected to the lan port of the router, try to turn it off, then check again. If that is a Windows 10 computer, you will find the firewall settings under Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall > Select Turn Windows Firewall off > Select OK to save the changes.

One more note, you can also check if there is any other anti-virus software running on this device, such as Bitdefender or Killer, which may also block the access.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:OpenVPN on IPad Pro not connecting to VPN server on Archer C5400x
2020-12-11 05:41:47

@Ezykiel 

Hello, sorry to hear that you are still encountering an issue with the OpenVPN setup on the C5400X.

Please help verify some details, and we will try to figure it out:
1. Kindly check the below VPN setup instructions again to confirm all the settings on the C5400X are correct:
How to use OpenVPN to access your home network through the Wi-Fi Routers
BTW, please also provide us your network topology.
2. If the above guide doesn't help, please tell us what is the WAN IP address of the C5400X and it is suggested to configure the DDNS:
How to set up TP-LINK DDNS on TP-Link Wireless Router?
3. Please check the VPN Tunnel: login the web interface, and on the VPN Server-> VPN Connections, we can see the status of the VPN Server, confirm if there is a VPN connection enabled. If not, which means the VPN setup is not successful.
4. Check the Firewall and Anti-Virus software on the server: generally, Windows Firewall would block the packages from the VPN Client, disabling the firewall on Windows PC for "public" and "private" network will be helpful. Windows Firewall is located at "Control panel->System and Security->Windows Firewall/Windows Defender Firewall".

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Options
2020-12-11 23:01:45

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin thanks for your "standard" message but before further extenting my un satisfaction let me reply to your points:

1. I have checked and they are correct.

BTW, I am a structural Engineer whith a bit, just a bit of knowledge, so you need to explain a bit more about what you mean when you are asking what is my network topology. I have a Virgin box on modem mode, the TP link router is connected to it, i have two computers cable connected to the router and several other devices via wireless.

2. 81.98.3.165 DDNS configured.

3. there is no VPN connection. But isn't this suppose to show connected clients? and how is this supposed to show any client when i have just said that I cannot connect and I get an error message from on the client side? maybe I am missunderstanding this.

4. I have tried to connect to the VPN while all firewalls were deactivated. 

BTW, the correct path for Windows Firewall is: "Control panel->Windows Defender Firewall" but in my case, I have Bitdefender, the firewall has to be deactivated from Bitdefender and then from control panel....

Although I did that, this has not solved the problem.

Now, to further extend my unsatisfaction. Your message is far to general and innacurate in some areas. This should have been an easy and smooth process for a high-priced router. Clearly it is not. 

Do you think you can help me further with this issue so i can get it fixed?

Thanks

Options
2020-12-16 02:38:22

@Ezykiel 

Hi, thanks for the update, we can escalate your case to the engineers, who can help you further.

Options
2021-01-28 20:10:13 - last edited 2021-01-28 20:20:24

@Ezykiel same problem here, I'm currently setting up my VPN server but I can't connect to it outside my LAN with my laptop and my iphone. I don't know why because inside the LAN it works and same with other OpenVPN servers in my LAN like my raspberry zero w, which works also through the internet, but the archer c7 OpenVPN server doesn't.

Options
Re:OpenVPN on IPad Pro not connecting to VPN server on Archer C5400x-Solution
2021-07-29 07:07:26 - last edited 2021-07-29 07:07:32

@holycima 

Hi, are you able to login to the router web or ping the IP address of the router after connecting to the VPN server? If you can ping the router IP from the outside network, that means the settings about OpenVPN on the router are correct, and the router doesn't block anything now. 

It is suggested to check and review the firewall settings on the local device connected to the lan port of the router, try to turn it off, then check again. If that is a Windows 10 computer, you will find the firewall settings under Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall > Select Turn Windows Firewall off > Select OK to save the changes.

One more note, you can also check if there is any other anti-virus software running on this device, such as Bitdefender or Killer, which may also block the access.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1093

Replies: 5

Related Articles