AX11000 losing connection on iPads/iPhones

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-04 07:52:44
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I have just set up a new Archer AX11000 and my ipad and iPhone seem to be losing connection intermittently and I am having to reconnect.  This is very frustrating

The router has the latest firmware on it and the iPad/iPhone has the latest IOS

can someone please advise on what I can do?

thanks

Options
19 Reply
Re:AX11000 losing connection on iPads/iPhones
2020-12-30 19:55:51
I just bought this router as well and we are having the same issues with iOS devices. TPLink please look at this and fix it. This is a very expensive router and it should not have issues like this for so long. I will be returning it to Costco if there is no resolution soon.
Options
2020-12-31 03:26:18

@BingBongBob 

Sorry to respond late. Do you mean all iOS devices will lose connection all the time? Ensure the AX11000 is running the latest firmware first.

When the iOS loses wireless connection, are they still able to see the 5G or 2.4G signal? How about the signal strength? Try to change some wireless settings on the AX11000, such as change the 2.4GHz wireless channel to 1/6/11, and for channel width you can use 20MHz; For the 5Ghz channel, you can try 36/40/44/48, channel width you can use 40MHz, then reboot the router and reconnect to the wireless to confirm.

BTW, are other devices connected to the AX11000 fine? What is the iOS version of those iOS devices? You may check if there is anything to do with the private MAC address on the iOS devices, try to disable it to confirm:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Options
2021-01-12 10:24:51

I have also experienced this problem. All iOS devices connected to the router will lose internet connection periodically. This has been happening for some time now. I found that disabling the Private Address in the iOS wifi settings as suggested resolved the issue. All other none-iOS devices on the network do not have this problem.

Would be good to understand why this is an issue and if there will be a later fix?

Options
2021-01-16 06:52:15

I have the same issue, anyone got a solution figured out?

Options
2021-01-20 12:29:59

@Howkins554 

Are you using WPA2/WPA3-Personal for your wifi security? I changed back to WPA/WPA2-Personal and set the version to WPA2-PSK and encryption AES and that seems to have solved the problem with dead connections (wifi showing as connected, but no internet data flowing) and slow/unsuccessful reconnections.

I noticed that my MacBook was connecting with WPA3, as I suspect any of the newer Apple devices would be. Since WPA3 is a new feature added in the last firmware update, I have assumed that the TP-LInk implementation is buggy.

Another thing I did, which may have helped, is I turned off Smart Connect and manually set all my network names to the same SSID and password. Everything now seems to connect as reliably as when I was using an Apple Airport Timecapsule for my wifi router. I want a unified SSID, but I'm not sure exactly what Smart Connect was doing behind the scenes.

But for the amount paid for the AX11000, I had hoped for flawless execution. I read in another thread that connecting a USB-C device causes radio interferance.

Options
2021-01-21 07:02:27

@MajorMajor 

Thank you very much for sharing the valued experience and modification on the AX11000. As far as I know, some devices cannot connect to the mixed WPA2/WPA3-Personal type, it may then cause some unknown issue when connecting. WPA2-PSK/AES security should be secure enough for the wireless connections, it is suggested to choose that if you are experiencing an issue with the WPA3 security.

Please monitor the connectivity on the AX11000 with these changes, let us know if there is any other issue, good day.

Options
2021-01-21 08:58:32

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin. I hope that this is relevant to the OP's question and that I am not hijacking the thread.

Just to be clear, all my device can connect initially to the AX11000 and access the Internet when using the WPA2/WPA3-Personal setting. The problem comes later:

1. AX11000 set to WPA2/WPA3-Personal

2. All devices I have are able to connect and have Internet access (Macs, Macbook, iPhone, iPad, Windows laptops, as well as old 2.4GHz devices)

3. Later on, and sometimes first thing in the morning, when waking a device, it shows the WiFi connection is up, but there is no Internet access (browser times out; no email access, etc.)

4. WiFi on the device has to turned off and on once or twice before the Wifi reconnects and Internet access is restored.

5. Sometimes the Wifi link takes 10-20s to reconnect (or times out), when previously it would have taken <5s.

I tried setting the AX11000 to reboot every morning, but that did not help.

I've only noticed this problem on the newer devices that are WPA3 enabled (including one Wifi-6 PC laptop). As mentioned, changing back to WPA/WPA2 (and disabling WPA for security reasons) seems to have resolved the issue.

I would very much like to have WPA3 enabled, so I hope that TP-Link investigate this further to see if the problem can be reproduced in your testing labs. Thank you.

Options
2021-01-21 10:00:25

@MajorMajor 

Thank you so much again for all the detailed info. The OP's question was the iPads/iPhones will lose the connection, while other devices should not be affected, but we do appreciate the clue that you provided, we will ask the engineers to investigate into this.

BTW, I think you can re-enable the Smart Connect on the AX11000, which may be irrelevant with this issue.

Have a nice day.

Options
2021-03-21 06:15:30

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

I have the same problem on AX11000 with WPA3 activated, and is not related only to Aplle products, I have this probem on a Samsung S10 Plus (that support WPA3) - so I think the problem appears on all devices that support WPA3.

With WPA2 everything is working normaly.

Thank you.

Options
2021-03-22 01:15:24

@m1hn3a 

May I know the detailed Wireless Security setting on the AX11000, which will make the Samsung S10 Plus connection freezes? You may cover the SSID and password for any security concerns.

Do you mean you also tested this with Apple devices, and they will disconnect or freeze as well when you choose WPA3 security? 

What is the security settings will work normally? We would like to know the detailed setting as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4765

Replies: 19

Related Articles