Archer C1200 V2 is with 100% CPU load

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-06 07:59:07
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.2 Build 20180118 rel.38979 (EU)

Hello All,

My device c1200 v2 Started to hung every day when the router is in hung mode I can not login to web interface or manage the connectivity.

The interesting fact is that I have added second router  and he receive packets from c1200 and all devices can connect to it in the  house.

Only issue that I have discovered is the repeatable 100% cpu load that from my point of view this can lead to a device unresponsive behavior.

The other issue is when the device is in this hung state it is not generating any logs :(

Is there any beta firmware that can be installed or some sort of diagnostic tips that can help me narrow down the issue?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C1200 V2 is with 100% CPU load
2020-10-22 05:09:22

@krastgogo I'm also experiencing this issue. I've tried many things to alleviate the router from crashing. I have about five devices connected at any one time, and using two Apple TVs not simultaneously. Here's my setup and perhaps we can start to compare setups to determine best steps to optimize the CPU performance.

• Apple TV 3rd generation - used to mirror YouTube TV from my MacBook Pro
  • Apple TV 4k - connected to LG, though not using as much as I used to
  • LG C9 - used with smart apps, generally used exclusively with some iPhone XS usage
  • MacBook Pro, not heavy intensive usage to download, just general productivity work via VPN
  • Desktop PC i7, heavy web browsing usage
  • Home Theater PC (HTPC) - general exclusive when used with some iPhone XS usage

I've changed my DNS settings to point to CloudFlare rather than ISP. Some browsing is snappier actually but didn't resolve the issue.

After the last reset/reboot/restart of the router tonight, I enabled IPv6 and obtained an IP Address from my ISP (Spectrum) in addition to the IPv4 address. So far, so good, but it's only been three hours.

Others have mentioned turning off SPI Firewall but I'm weary and left it off earlier in the week to no improvement/avail. When I first noticed the issue earlier in October, I upgraded my firmware to the latest update available.

CPU usage is running about 50-80% and then 100% bursts; one to three times a day, the router crashes/reboots.

Options
2020-10-23 06:46:42

@maximusapp    @krastgogo 

Hello all, thanks for your detailed issue description. While it seems that the issue you two encountered is not the same. maximusapp seems encounter the auto-reboot issue on your C1200, while krastgogo's seems more like a router freezing issue. We may confirm more details and try to help you out:

1. When the C1200 crash or auto-reboot or freeze, please feel the router, if the router is hot or lots of heat coming out, use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.
Set the Wi-Fi Transmit Power to low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps with the issue.

2. Turn the Wi-Fi off completely and feel the difference of the heat output and observe router stability, if this is possible. Or try to disable 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless, confirm if this will make any difference.

3. When it crashes or freeze, how would you make it back to work? Just wait or you need to power cycle the router? @krastgogo what is your network topology? What if you remove the other router that is connected to the C1200, will it make a difference? Also, please confirm how many devices are connected to the C1200 network, what are they.

Thank you both again.

Options
2020-10-30 09:35:49

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

Hope you are doing great in this difficult times.

I have return the previous version of the firmware and did not see any hangs for about 3 4 weeks.

I have also start using my 5g wi fi to my xbox one x and downloaded a couple of big games on it over 5g wi fi and the router was stable.

Before that when i started downloading games to my xbox during the night the device hangs very morning and I should perform a Hard power off.

Current firmware: 2.0.1 Build 20180108 rel.37342 (EU)

Previous firmware with hung issues: 2.0.2 Build 20180118 rel.38979

Sorry for the late reply but I am a little bit buzy at the moment

Best regards and have a nice Weekend

Options
2020-10-30 12:32:15

@krastgogo 

Hi, thank you very much for the update and it's glad to know the hang issue was resolved by a firmware downgrading. 

Please monitor its performance and let us know if there is still an issue.

Have a nice weekend too.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4056

Replies: 4