Unknown device connected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unknown device connected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Unknown device connected
Unknown device connected
2020-10-10 04:14:54 - last edited 2022-04-29 07:49:15
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.9 build 20200918 rel 74680

Every day i get a notification about an unknown device got connected to / disconnected from the router.

When i look at the device list I don't see that device.

I named every device on my device list and stil this "unknown device" does not appear.

What is this device?

Why does that happen?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Unknown device connected-Solution
2021-12-15 10:05:26 - last edited 2022-04-29 07:49:15

@Juve 

Thank you very much for all your feedback.

For this issue, first of all, you need to know that this is not a security issue. 'unknown' mostly means there is no hostname for this device or a basic MAC lookup hasn't identified a manufacturer.

Based on the feedback we have received, most of them are related to private address (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227) which hides the real MAC address of your device, very common for Apple devices due to security reasons.

There are some suggestions for you:

On the Deco APP>three lines on the top>Deco lab>Wi-Fi assistant>MAC Loop UP

Or https://maclookup.app/search/

It will help you find the manufacturer of this device then you could check around to locate this device and rename it.

How to change the name of the client on the Deco app?

But if unfortunately, no assignment is found for this MAC and no suspicious device could be located. Please block this device temporarily.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-04-27 13:39:22 - last edited 2022-04-29 07:49:17
I was having an "unknown" device which is driving me crazy... so I dug around and the only thing I could find was a iPad-pro that I have that I don't use much. As soon as I use it (by doing a speed test or something), then my Deco app "unknown" would go away, and the iPad name would show up. After some time, my iPad would drop off by its "name" and my unknown would magically come back. I was able to confirm that the MAC addresses match! However the MAC address isn't what I find on the iPad -- this could be apple doing "MAC address randomization" - google it. Or something else, I didn't look extensively. I'm not sure why my other iPad doesn't have this problem, but maybe it ISN'T doing the randomization because my 2nd iPad is 2 years older than the aforementioned unknown iPad. Hope this helps.
Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Unknown device connected
2020-10-10 17:12:39

@Juve I have the same problem, constant notification of a device disconnected from my Wi-Fi network "Unknown" that does not appear in the list or connection history  frown

Options
2020-10-12 04:27:40 - last edited 2020-10-12 04:28:24

I sent the support an email about that and other things (firewall, connecting to the deco locally through the app when there's no internet and a few suggestions). I hope to get a response back soon and I'll update the relevant answer.

I couldn't find much info about that on the web...

Options
2020-10-13 13:06:51

@Juve  This is the response sent by support to the unknown device query

Parker Hu <parker.hu@tp-link.com>

lun., 12 oct. 3:23 (hace 1 día)

para mí

Dear customer

This is a senior engineer from TP-Link here.

UNKNOWN means that the Deco doesn’t know the device’s host name or IP address, only knowing it has been sending packets to Deco units.

So this device is recorded by the Deco, without any further information.

We can identify its identity through the Mac address.

Thanks.

Options
2021-08-15 09:24:45

@Juve The worst device i have tp-link i have no idea why even they made it? now these devices are showing in my router as unknown. and when i am trying to add them into blacklist its saying unknown is already exist , well it will be because i have blocked one unknown device . when i am trying to add other one its saying i can't. and there is no way i can assign a name to device , what a point to have i.p address and mac address when you guys cannot use it,

here is my other problem and their I.T team can not help.

.1 if i have parents rule, and i put device in blacklist they still can access internet. i have to turn off parents rule for that device then blacklist work .. 

i wanted to throw that bad device ...

Options
2021-12-02 15:14:14

@Juve I'm not sure if you're experiencing the same. But, I saw an unknown device listed and tried to figure out who/what it was. After some time, I realized it was one of my devices that hadn't connected to the network in some time. Turns out, it was my iPad, which had connected before and was listed in my Offline devices. As I used it, I started to see up/down traffic for that device. And, after checking an hour or two later, Deco actually listed the device name (same name as the others in offline devices).

Options
2021-12-15 10:05:26 - last edited 2022-04-29 07:49:15

@Juve 

Thank you very much for all your feedback.

For this issue, first of all, you need to know that this is not a security issue. 'unknown' mostly means there is no hostname for this device or a basic MAC lookup hasn't identified a manufacturer.

Based on the feedback we have received, most of them are related to private address (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227) which hides the real MAC address of your device, very common for Apple devices due to security reasons.

There are some suggestions for you:

On the Deco APP>three lines on the top>Deco lab>Wi-Fi assistant>MAC Loop UP

Or https://maclookup.app/search/

It will help you find the manufacturer of this device then you could check around to locate this device and rename it.

How to change the name of the client on the Deco app?

But if unfortunately, no assignment is found for this MAC and no suspicious device could be located. Please block this device temporarily.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-04-27 13:39:22 - last edited 2022-04-29 07:49:17
I was having an "unknown" device which is driving me crazy... so I dug around and the only thing I could find was a iPad-pro that I have that I don't use much. As soon as I use it (by doing a speed test or something), then my Deco app "unknown" would go away, and the iPad name would show up. After some time, my iPad would drop off by its "name" and my unknown would magically come back. I was able to confirm that the MAC addresses match! However the MAC address isn't what I find on the iPad -- this could be apple doing "MAC address randomization" - google it. Or something else, I didn't look extensively. I'm not sure why my other iPad doesn't have this problem, but maybe it ISN'T doing the randomization because my 2nd iPad is 2 years older than the aforementioned unknown iPad. Hope this helps.
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-04-29 05:19:05

@hockey41 

Thanks for your response.

And for others as well...

You gave me a solid way to find the device.

Since I've posted this message I turned off the notifications.

Thank you all for your help.

Options
2022-09-01 07:46:38

@TP-Link 

Hi @TP-Link ,

Can you please add a feature to block any UNKNOWN MAC to be connected tot he network unless anyone approve them?

Blacklisting is not a good idea for randomization of the MAC addresses fro apple or windows11 devices. Because if you blacklist one it will generate another.

So would be great if you can give us a solution for this.

Thanks

Khairul

Options
2022-11-19 01:03:18

It's a VPN.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 17772

Replies: 12

Related Articles