Extending range of AC4000 via ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-14 21:09:46
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.13901(4555)

Hi,

I have an Archer C4000 in the attic. The signal is overall ok in the house but my Nest smart door bell keeps getting disconnected all the time. So I am thinking of getting some sort of range extender.

I have wired my house so I have some ethernet sockets available in the room next to the entrance door where the door bell is. So I am thinking that I would put an AP in that room, connect it via ethernet to the Archer C4000 router in the attic; I don't want to connect the extender via wifi as it is usually too unreliable. 

What products are best suited for this? I think the access points like TL-WA901N/D should be able to do this, but I think that they would create a new wifi network rather than extend the existing one (ie wireless devices would not switch over seemlessly to connect to the best signal). This would probably work for my door bell but is not what I'd ideally want. 

Is the wireless network extension only working via WDS Bridging which requires the AP to connect to the Router/base via wifi? Or can this be done by connecting to router/base via ethernet? If so which products support that?

Thanks,

XhaK

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extending range of AC4000 via ethernet?
2021-01-08 07:04:46

@XhaK 

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay.

Since the TL-WA901 is 10/100 fast Ethernet port, I think TL-WA1201 would be much better for C4000.

But it would create a new wireless network as well.

Since the Archer C4000 will be the DHCP server for the whole network, and the doorbell is not a mobile device, like smartphone always switching to the stronger signal, it would stay connected to the access point.

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 780

Replies: 1

Related Articles