TD-W8970 - opinions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8970 - opinions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TD-W8970 - opinions
TD-W8970 - opinions
2013-02-12 00:54:13
Region : Argentina

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I would like to know the opinions about TP-link TD-8970 if anyone is using?
Options
7 Reply
Re:TD-W8970 - opinions
2013-02-12 23:28:10
I have this modem TD 9870
Options
2013-02-12 23:46:21
What are your impressions of use this router? What is the range of wireless, stability?
Options
2013-02-13 00:17:20
Good modem with plenty of options! I use a wireless N network with 40MHz
and in my house is the perfect network coverage! Everything works perfectly!
is a very good wireless speed !
Options
2013-02-13 00:20:45
Thanks for informations about this model, maybe someone else?
Options
2013-04-25 16:10:17

jimasek wrote

Thanks for informations about this model, maybe someone else?

It's quite good for the price but as I've pointeed out in a previous post I'm having problems with a USB hard drive not starting up from a standby position.
You can't really go wrong with the price.
Options
2013-04-27 15:21:00
This firmware have the same bug reported but not fixed
And some improvements requested not implemented

Bug - Telnet infinite loop
You can enter in telnet mode. But you cannot exit by it.
logout or exit didn't close DS windows. You have to kill the DOS window

Bug - NTP doesn't have summer/legal time
In ntp settings is not available summer/leagl time

Improvemnts - sh command not available anymore
The sh (shell) command was removed by TP-LINK for security reason (to avoid customer make wrong settings)

Improvemnts - Gust Wifi network
Other competitor offer Gust Wifi network (available also in WDR43000)

Improvemnts - SNR Adjustment
To get a more connect rate competitor offer via GUI a SNR adjustment
Options
Td-w8970
2013-05-26 21:01:56
Overall is a very good device although as a BE\O2 Customer I am a bit disappointed with the missing DSL Bridge RFC 1483 Connection protocol settings being unavailable.
Although I am still not entirely sure, I think that this causes the TP-Link in regards and a previous model I have also tested (TD-8901G) to loose 10% of internet speed both in downstream and upstream.

As an example.
Currently with my Belkin F5D7633-4-UK model these are my connection settings and speedtest results:

Speedtest results are always above 10 Mbps Download and above 0.90Mbps in upload.

When connecting with the new TP-Link TD-W8970 I am getting always Download speeds of no more than 9 and 0.80 in upload as the following images where you can also see the different connection values results:

I can see that on the TP-Link I always get different values for Noise Margin and Attenuation comparing it to the ones see on the Belkin
I am unable to see the Output power values on the tp-link on the web interface and so I have taken these by accessing the router in CLI Terminal

On the TP-Link's either the TD-W8970 and the TD-8901G I get the same results showing a slight degradation comparing to my Belkin router.
Is the case that I should be able to change any parameters in command line either for the Noise, Attenuation or Power output in order to resolve this and improve connection speed?

I am new in the TP-Link forum and I have not yest found any post mentioning whether there is an available set of commands?
Would you know where I can find these and whether these settings are possible to be amended?

For the rest, apart from my issue above I am generally happy with this device.
I have tested pretty much all functionality apart from the print server which I am not too interested in using.
Wireless performance has been a little in doubt since my Wireless G Router seem to make internet pages available pretty much to all corners of my house whether with both this Router and previous model it seem that although you get the full 5 segment showing full wireless coverage there is no data coming in when I get to the edges of my house, but on the other hand when in within certain distances, like between rooms I have noticed that I am able to stream HD Videos from the iPad and my Laptop with Wireless N while my Wireless G router would be struggling and resulting with movies being unwatchable which kind of proves that Wireless Functionality is pretty good I guess.

Both with DSL and Wireless functionality I had no problems in terms of drops or any issue needing a device restart, Never had to reboot once.
The USB Functionality seem quiet good and stable also, I have connected various typed of USB Drives including an external box with a 400Gb Drive and I was able to see the content of it and copy and uploading with no problems. The speed with this was a bit of an issue as I could get a maximum of 5Mb in upload by trying to copy something on this and around 40Mb in downloading.

The device does not seem to overheat even in a particular load, like when using Torrents and streaming large data in within the home network.
Overall I would recommend this device but just for BE/O2 users it may be something to be aware of in case you are particularly concern in loosing even a marginal amount of speed as in my case mentioned above.

I will probably post this to a specific tread but if anyone or even you ( jimasek ) have the answer to this please let me know as I am still in the way of valuating whether to keep this router or returning it to the vendor for a replacement of one router fully supporting IPoEoATM or most commonly referred as RFC1483 Bridge protocol which BE/O2 currently uses for many customers like me.

Thanks for reading this.
Hope you have any insight.

Regards
Massimiliano
File:
belkin_dsl results.JPGDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 510

Replies: 7