Problems to connect RE650 to a wifi router with MAC Filter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-20 13:57:56
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi,

I have been trying to connect the RE650 extender to my wireless router. I can do that if I turn the MAC filter off on the router. I have also configured the Access control on the extender. Everything works just fine until I turn the MAC filter on again on the router. Of corse, I have programmed access for the extender with it´s MAC adress and all equipment that should connect through the extender (...with the new MAC adresses). I have also tried to turn off the access control on the extender but, no change, it does not work. I have strictly followed the instructions under FAQ, Q5. OF course I have also altered the MAC adress of the extender to the wireless version (not the one printed on the extenders back side). Nevertheless both of these both of these MAC adresses are included in the white list of the routers MAC Filter. Again, everything works just fine until I turn the MAC Filter of the router on again after configuration. The router uses WPA2 with AES encryption.

Can anyone help me to solve the problem?

/Anders

Options
3 Reply
Re:Problems to connect RE650 to a wifi router with MAC Filter
2020-10-26 10:43:01

@AIC 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry For the delay.

Have you seen this FAQ

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2019/

And may I know the model number of your home router as well?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-10-26 11:27:09

@AIC 

Hi again,

Thank you Solla-Topee for your answer! Unfortunately I have already done everything consistently with the advice in the FAQ. Again, I have entered both the MAC adress typed on the back of the extender as well as the MAC adress for the RE650 that shows on the status page of the router, in it´s white list. Everything works just fine with the extender and equipment connected through the extender until the MAC filter on the router is turned on again. On the status page of the extender both 2,4 and 5G connections are lost and of course also the connection to the internet.

Still searchin for a solution!

Best regards

Anders

Options
2021-03-25 16:44:12

@AIC  if you look at the forums, they posted a message that they are using

proxy for mac's which causes problems for those using mac filtering. While mac

filtering does nothing at all for security, when used with a strong password and 

WPA2 AES and or SHA256 authentication and algorithms, you have a secured

network and easy to manage client list. 

There is no solution to this as they seem to have gone to proxy for all newer devices.

What you can do - and it is a pain - is look in your ip list to see what is connected

and find your range extender. Look at the first three sets of numbers. If you look down

the connected list of devices you will see that anything connected to the extender has

the the first three sets set the same. The last three sets are for each device. The problem

is, those tell you nothing if you do not already know what each is. The only real solution

is to make a list of your devices, get the last three sets and put those in a list to glance at.

Options