Archer A7 AC1750 2.4g WIFI Connection Fails or No Internet Access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-21 00:04:09
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20200721 rel.40773(5553)

Let's try this again. Seams my orgianl post disapeared.

I'm having issues with the 2.4g WIFI on the A7. Devices either can not connect to it or if they do connect there's no internet access. If they connect the pings to the gateway are way high or major packet loss.

This device is stock out of the box except for upgrading to the latest firmware and changing the SSIDs.

I also disabled Smart Connect so I would have two seperate WIFIs.

I have no issue with 5g WIFI devies functioning normally, just 2.4g devices. All devices connected to the 2 year old router just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Thank you in advance

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer A7 AC1750 2.4g WIFI Connection Fails or No Internet Access
2020-10-23 06:26:54

So, I performed some testing and found that there is something seriously wrong with the 2.4g WFIF band on these devices. I think it is something tp-link needs to admit to and resolve this issue.

I went through the form posting for any Archer A7 router and it seams there are a lot of complaints about the 2.4g band. Either it being slow, stops working, drops connections.

I compiled a list of suggested fixes and tested each one individually and in pairs after a reboot of the router each time and have determined none resolve or even improved the issue.

Each test was performed with a iPhone 10, Dell laptop, and tp-links own Smart WI-FI Plug Mini. All of these device work flawlessly on my previous router connecting to the 2.4g band. The iPhone i have never been able to connect to the Archer A7. The Dell laptop will connect somethings and as explained in my post, when it does connect i have no internet access, ping times are 2000ms+ to the gateway IP and/or major packet loss. Sadly I have never been able to get the tp-link smart plug to connect and it only supports 2.4g and is made by the same company. All this while I have no other WIFI sources around me on and these devices are sitting within two feet of the router. I even downgraded the firmware on the router and hard reset it, still same issue.

Oh, and the 5g works great. Getting 150+MB speed two rooms over and not one issue with the hard wired devices. 

There appears to be a lot of unhappy customers who purchased these devices, i know I am. I know some moderator on the site will say contact support. These devices should be plug and play out of the box, if something doesn't work as advertised then it's a manufactures defect. If I buy a new TV and plug it in and it doesn't power up, it's defective.

I don't know if some new firmware will fix this or if it's just a bad design or some hardware failure. All I know is it doesn't work.

Anyways, I already ordered a different route from another manufacturer. Guess I'll install OpenWrt on this and see if it works with that firmware. Probably not.

Options
2020-10-28 04:08:48

Can someone reply so I know my posts are seen?

Options
2020-10-28 07:47:21

@Sgtjake916 

Hello, apologies to respond late, please make sure you are tagging a TP-Link Admin if you want a timely response. Unless we are tagged we do not see that new responses have been added. We do not subscribe to every thread so rely on Tagging to ensure responses.

Just to verify, when the iPhone 10 or Dell laptop tried to connect to the A7's 2.4GHz network, is there any error message when it cannot connect? If the Dell laptop connects to the network successfully, can I have the IP address/gateway it gets from the A7?

Try to change the 2.4GHz wireless security type to WPA2-PSK AES, save and reboot the router, then confirm the connection.

Try to enable the 2.4GHz Guest network and check if the Dell laptop and iPhone 10 can connect to it.

BTW, below is your original post, you may find your own post by tapping your nickname and go to User Center, where you will see all of your posts:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/232804

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1893

Replies: 3