Replicating wifi modem's SSID across two addiitonal (wired) access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-21 05:29:19 - last edited 2020-10-21 05:31:37
Model: TL-WA801ND  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 3.16 v0001.0 Build 170905 Rel. 59579n

Hi

My first post so go easy on me and definitely not an expert on this stuff...

Home set up and wanting to extend the wireless network into every corner of the house:

Optus WIFI modem (SSIDs: default_ssid_2GHz & default_ssid_5GHz)

-> [ethernet] Access Point 1 (Tp-Link Tl-Wa801Nd Wireless N300 Access Point) - SSID?

-> [ethernet] Access Point 2 (Tp-Link Tl-Wa801Nd Wireless N300 Access Point) - SSID?

Just some help on setting up the two ethernetted WA801NDs please in terms of what I should use for the SSIDs for each of them.

Ideally, i want to be able to wander around the house with my mobile phone and it seamlessly move its connection from one access point to the other access point or on to the wifi modem without me having to reconnect. And for any device (like my son's playstation) to remain securely connected to the Access Point it's nearest too.

Should I name the SSIDs of the two access points to match the default 2GHz SSID of the Optus Wifi Modem - i.e., default_ssid_2GHz?

And do I need to do anything with regards DHCP? Which device should I let allocate IP addresses and should I use static IP setup?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Replicating wifi modem's SSID across two addiitonal (wired) access points
2021-01-08 07:35:55

@dajoy 

Hi,

Only the Optus Wi-Fi modem would be the DHCP server and there is no need for additional settings on the 801ND;

As for the roaming, it would be better to keep the same SSID on the 801ND and Optus router and it would reduce the Wi-Fi switching time.

Thank you very much and have a happy new year.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 688

Replies: 1