Archer A6 will stop working when downloading torrents

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-22 05:08:53 - last edited 2020-10-23 07:41:10
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555)

When downloading torrents and with >20 incoming connections, the router just stops working and the WAN light becomes red. I had received updates to fix this on the router, but it never really got fixed for some reason. Can anyone help regarding this?

Before people say that I am downloading pirated stuff, I'm not , I use it only for legitimate software (such as GIMP).

Options
11 Reply
Re:Archer A6 will stop working when downloading torrents
2020-10-23 07:22:48 - last edited 2020-10-23 07:41:10

@pelipper 

Hi, thanks for asking.

What do you mean by "I had received updates to fix this on the router, but it never really got fixed for some reason? Can anyone help regarding this?"? Do you mean you have already got beta firmware for the A6? Or do you mean something else, please kindly explain, thanks.

What if you connect the computer directly to the ISP modem, will the internet stop when you do this downloading. If possible, we hope you could try with another router to confirm this, as we can confirm that torrent downloading will occupy the TCP or UDP session a lot, which may slow down the speed on the other devices connected to the same network.

Try to enable the NAT Boost on the A6 (Advanced-System Tools-System Parameters):

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-10-23 07:40:40

@Kevin_Z 
No, I once saw it in the changelog as a fix in an update i got a long time back (this was public release - but I don't remember the firmware version exactly). But this didn't fix the problem. 

Yes I did try using another router (Tenda AC10) , and it doesn't have this problem. Infact I get much better speeds and never lose connectivity.
Funnily enough when I lose connectivity on the A6, the torrents still keep downloading, just the internet stops working. I also tried 2 different ISPs , both have the same problem with this router.

Also the NAT boost setting is already enabled by default. (did a factory reset just now to confirm)

Thanks for the response!

Options
2020-10-23 07:51:23 - last edited 2020-10-23 07:53:06

@pelipper Hey...same thing happens to me on C6 ( wich e believe is the same router on some regions).

But this happens recently, last week or so, since last firmware update I believe(wichi is same  as yours).

The worst part is that it doesn't even download at full speed( 1000Mbps) so, I don't know what the problem is.

In my case the torrent doesn't download anymore the router freezes completely(can't even access webif)

Options
2020-10-23 09:19:09

@ap0klyps3    @pelipper 

Hi, what if you disable the NAT boost on the C6? Will it be normal when downloading torrent?

What is the bandwidth provided by your ISP? Who is your ISP and what is the model number of the modem?

Thanks.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-10-23 12:48:17

@Kevin_Z 
I will try disabling NAT boost and revert back if it works.

My ISP is providing 200mbps bandwidth. And its not the ISP at fault here, I have tried directly plugging the cable to my PC and there are no such problems and also a different router. I have even switched to a completely different ISP so i'm certain that its not the ISP(s).

My current ISP doesn't require a modem, they have a distribution box which eliminates the need of a modem at my end. That's why I don't know what hardware they are using.

Thanks for replying!

Options
2020-10-23 12:51:11

@ap0klyps3 
Yeah! and the sad part is, where I live (India) TP-Link chat support is always offline and they won't pick up on the hotline number. Good thing I had a backup router which my ISP gave me.

Options
2020-10-23 16:24:28

@Kevin_Z 

I haven't tried (workaraunds don't really suit me , limit this , limit that etc.)

It worked fine until a week ago.I have updated the firmware prior to this from the webif(it notified me that a new version is available)

The bandwidth is 1000Mbps, ISP is RCS-RDS(also known as Digi) from Romania and I don't really have a modem, just FTTH in my home with a media converter provided by them Fiberhome HG6554C.

Internet doesn't freeze when connected directly to the Fiberhome device and as stated, the router itself freezes (no lan connection, all leds have lights on but no blinking)

Options
2020-10-26 01:36:44

@pelipper 

Hi, thanks for all the details. Please try to disable NAT Boost on the C6 web GUI, then monitor again.

Let the community know if the issue will be resolved or not, thanks.

Options
2020-10-26 01:37:30

@ap0klyps3 

Hi, thank you. We would like to follow it up via email then, please check your email box and respond.

Options
2021-04-09 19:12:31
I have been having the same exact problem while downloading torrents. The torrents continue downloading but the internet doesn't work for anything else. The internet works fine for other devices but doesn't on the device the torrent is downloading. Pausing or terminating the torrent client doesn't restore the connection. Switching clients didn't fix it either. Only terminating the client and rebooting the router fixes it. Connecting it directly to the ISP's cable directly works flawlessly and using another router works too. The problem is only with this router. My router is Archer C6 v3.20 Firmware version: 1.0.5 Build 20201117 rel.41066(5553). No updates are available. Please tell me if there is a fix. Thank you.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3175

Replies: 11

Related Articles