My Archer A6 router is quite a disaster

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-24 12:39:07 - last edited 2020-10-26 08:37:07
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 Build 20200630 rel.57690(4555)

I bought this router like a year ago. It was fantastic then. If I remember goodly, I had a stabile, 16 Mbps download speed with this router. But, a year have passed. Things changed. Things changed a lot. These are the problems with my router nowadays:

- The best Mbps download speed that I can get is just 11.XY...

- ...but most of the time, I have 1 Mbps download speed (This download speed problem is even worse when using WI-Fi instead of Ethernet, if 5G used, if not.)

- Very very very very randomly stops working

Any idea to make my router great again? Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:My Archer A6 router is quite a disaster-Solution
2020-10-26 08:36:31 - last edited 2020-10-26 08:37:07

@Mate_G 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue to the community, can I have more details then our engineers can try to investigate further?

1. Only the 2.4GHz wireless speed is unstable, or 5GHz is also unstable? The wired connections are working just fine?

2. How many devices are connected to the 2.4GHz network, what are they? Are all wireless devices connected to the 2.4GHz experiencing the same dropout or just some special or old clients? When they got disconnected or slow speed, are they still showing connected to the A6 and still get a correct IP address from A6? What is the IP address? Can you ping the A6 gateway and internet?

3. Try to modify the wireless settings on the Archer A6 first, such as wireless channel, channel width, which would help in some cases:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2292/

4. How did you recover the connection, do you need to reboot the A6, or disable/enable the 2.4GHz wireless on the A6, or just wait and it will reconnect automatically?

BTW, is your A6 a US version or an EU version, you may check it on its bottom label?

Thank you very much for your patience~

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:My Archer A6 router is quite a disaster-Solution
2020-10-26 08:36:31 - last edited 2020-10-26 08:37:07

@Mate_G 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue to the community, can I have more details then our engineers can try to investigate further?

1. Only the 2.4GHz wireless speed is unstable, or 5GHz is also unstable? The wired connections are working just fine?

2. How many devices are connected to the 2.4GHz network, what are they? Are all wireless devices connected to the 2.4GHz experiencing the same dropout or just some special or old clients? When they got disconnected or slow speed, are they still showing connected to the A6 and still get a correct IP address from A6? What is the IP address? Can you ping the A6 gateway and internet?

3. Try to modify the wireless settings on the Archer A6 first, such as wireless channel, channel width, which would help in some cases:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2292/

4. How did you recover the connection, do you need to reboot the A6, or disable/enable the 2.4GHz wireless on the A6, or just wait and it will reconnect automatically?

BTW, is your A6 a US version or an EU version, you may check it on its bottom label?

Thank you very much for your patience~

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:My Archer A6 router is quite a disaster
2020-10-26 14:45:36

@Kevin_Z 

Hi! Here are the answers:

1. Nothing is stable. Wired connections are bad too.

2. 3 device. 2 mobile phone (3, if there's no 5g) and 1 TV;  All wireless devices connected to the 2.4GHz experiencing the same dropout; Yes; Still showing connected to the A6, but the IP address is somehow wrong. My computer and the Router says different IP addresses; Which one? The IPv4/v6 address what the computer says, or the IPv4/v6 address what the router says?; Don't know how to do that

3. Got it, but it doesn't seem to work.

4. Sometimes it's reconnect automatically. Sometimes we have to turn it off and after wating like 10 or more minutes, turn on the router to recover the connection.

It's an EU version

Options
2020-10-27 10:32:07

@Mate_G 

Hello, do you mean the wired connection on this A6 is not stable and the speed also drops? When the connection or speed drops, is the internet LED on the A6 still green? Do you have internet access actually?

When the connections drop on the mobile phone or TV which are connected to the 2.4GHz network, what is the IP address on the phone or TV? You may go to settings->Wi-Fi->tap the connection, then you will see the IP address and gateway info.

Please try to reset the A6 to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, leave all the settings by default and only build up the internet on it, then confirm again.

BTW, is there anything else changed in this network before this issue started to happen? Any firmware or phone OS upgrade?

Thanks.

Options
2020-10-27 17:16:01

@Kevin_Z 

Hi!

"Do you mean the wired connection on this A6 is not stable and the speed also drops?"

Yes.

"When the connection or speed drops, is the internet LED on the A6 still green?"

No. It turns into orange.

"Do you have internet access actually?"

Something happened with the router, because now, I have a pretty good internet. The Mbps dowload speed with wired connection is now 9-10 Mbps. Could be better, but either much worse.

"When the connections drop on the mobile phone or TV which are connected to the 2.4GHz network, what is the IP address on the phone or TV?"

IP-address: 192.168.0.107, fe80::be7f:aff:fe1a:eb3, 2a01:36d:115:1558:be7f:a4ff:fe1a:eb3, 2a01:36d:115:1558:e4ec:a75e:e906:163c
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

These are the normal addresses. I'm going to send the addresses that we get when the connections drop again. 

"BTW, is there anything else changed in this network before this issue started to happen? Any firmware or phone OS upgrade?"

No. I don't think so.

When the router goes bad again, I will try to reset the A6. 

Options
2020-10-28 06:00:17

@Mate_G 

Thank you very much for all the detailed info. Please try to reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then monitor again. When the internet drops again, please take a screenshot of the IP address on the client devices, thanks a lot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 665

Replies: 5

Related Articles