Failed To Obtain IP Address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-26 15:04:06 - last edited 2020-10-26 17:52:07
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20170109 Rel. 58858

Hi, newbie here,

Apologies if this topic has been covered before.

I am using my TL-WA850RE as an access point with ethernet provided through a pair of Belkin Powerline Adapters. The system works well with my IPhone and my Galaxy Tab A (SM-T510) running Android 10 and my old Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T710) but not with my wife's Kindle Fire, on this device the error "Failed To Obtain IP Address" keeps coming up. This error doesn't occur when the device is attached directly to the router WiFi nor does it happen when it is attached to my Netgear access point. Is there anything within the TL-WA850RE that would cause this issue? I don't really want to mess with the settings as it works fine with my other devices.

Many thanks in advance.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Failed To Obtain IP Address
2020-10-30 11:15:52

@The-Driver 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

Was the Kindle Fire the only device which failed to connect TL-WA850RE?

Have you tried to reboot the Kindle to have a look?

Did this issue start since you bought 850RE

If possible, can I have a specification link of the Kindle Fire?

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Options
2020-11-01 09:48:46

@Solla-topee 

Hello and thank you for replying to my query.

Yes the Kindle Fire (7th edition UK) is the only device that fails to connect now the TL-WA850RE is configured as an access point but it connected perfectly well when the 850RE was configured as a range extender.

I have tried re-booting the Kindle Fire several times and each time it fails to obtain the IP address of the 850RE.

As I mentioned in my original post, the Kindle Fire connects perfectly with the router WiFi and my Netgear range extender which is also configured as an access point. The encryption and security settings on all 3 setup's look to be the same, all of which were configured automatically.

I have also tried re-booting the 850RE a couple of times to see if that solved the issue, it didn't.

What I may try next is a re-set of the 850RE and start again, another idea is to remove the Belkin Powerline units and replace them with a temporary ethernet cable to the nearest wall outlet and see if that makes any difference.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. It is much appreciated.  

Options
2020-11-01 11:26:14

@The-Driver 

Since replying to Solla-topee I have discovered that my old Samsung tablet no longer connects to the TL-WA850RE, I will investigate further.

Options
2020-11-02 03:41:06

@The-Driver 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your continuous concern about this case.

How about now? The Samsung tab was still not able to connect the 850RE?

May I know where are you located and how long have you had the 850RE?

Did removing the Belkin Power-line adapters fix the trick?

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Options
2020-11-03 20:20:43

@Solla-topee 

Hello again and sorry for the delay in replying, my time doesn't seem to be my own at the moment.

The Samsung tab and the Kindle still don't like the 850RE though my nearly new other Samsung tab and my IPhone have no trouble.

I am located in the north west of England and I think I've had the 850RE for about a year.

Sorry but as yet I've not had a chance to try eliminating the Belkin adapters, also I need to dig out my reel of cable and make up a 10 metre ethernet patch lead.

Here's hoping I get chance to make some progress before the end of the week.

Options
2020-11-05 10:47:42

Update.

I wanted to test the 850RE in situ with Ethernet provided via cable direct from my router but as that wasn't as feasible as I'd like I moved the 850RE to a location that already had Ethernet outlet close by and it worked fine, even with the Kindle Fire. 

This answers the what question but not the why, it also creates the question, do I pursue the issue and find out why the Belkin Power-line adapters are the issue and try and overcome the problem or do I simplify things and locate the 850RE a little further away than I'd prefer and provide a direct Ethernet connection. 

Okay, relocating the 850RE means some physical work but it will probably be easier than solving the technical issue with the Belkin units. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 777

Replies: 6

Related Articles