Please help, problem with ethernet, I'm going crazy

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-27 01:51:12
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm having issues with my Deco M5 and I just (1) cannot understand why and (2) cannot find useful info on this forum.

My setup: Modem>Deco M5 in router mode>Switch>Multiple devices (TV, PC, PS4, etc)

Another Deco M5 is connected wirelessly to the first one.

My issue is that while it works for a while, eventually I lose connection to my devices connected to the switch. Now, a few things:

1) The switch is not the problem. It happens with three different switches, of various brands/models.

2) The problem does not occur if the switch is taken out of the equation, i.e.  if the TV is connected directly to the Deco M5 with an ethernet cable.

3) It's unlikely to be to an issue with the ethernet port: I've reset and switched the Decos, to no avail.

I'm at a loss to understand what's going on, and it's driving me crazy. Anyone has an idea what's happening?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Please help, problem with ethernet, I'm going crazy
2020-10-27 03:35:41

@Turpentine 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue to the community.

May I know the model number of the modem as well as the model of the switches? Are they unmanaged switches or smart switches? When the TV or PC stops working when connected to the switch, are they still getting valid IP address from the network?

When they stop connecting to the internet, how about the LEDs on the two Deco M5s, are they still solid green?

Options
2020-10-27 07:06:26

@Turpentine  Please check your patch cords and cables, faulty cables are mostly the reason for this kind of behavior. 

Options
2020-10-27 12:09:37

@TP-Link_Deco Thank you for getting back to me. See my replies below.

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@Turpentine 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue to the community.

May I know the model number of the modem as well as the model of the switches?

>>> It's a Technicolor TC4400

Are they unmanaged switches or smart switches?

>>> Unmanaged switches. The one I'm using right now is a TP-Link TL-SG108, but I've tried two others before.

Something else that is strange: if I only have one device connected to the switch (which defeats the purpose, but just as a test), then it's fine, I've never experienced a drop in connection. 

When the TV or PC stops working when connected to the switch, are they still getting valid IP address from the network?

>>> No, nothing, it's as if there was no connection at all.

When they stop connecting to the internet, how about the LEDs on the two Deco M5s, are they still solid green?

>>> They are both green. The wifi also works totally fine.

Options
2020-10-27 12:10:25

jthcomputers wrote

@Turpentine  Please check your patch cords and cables, faulty cables are mostly the reason for this kind of behavior. 

Thanks @jthcomputers. Infortunately, I've tried with many different cables but it still happens.

Options
2020-10-27 12:27:07

@Turpentine 

Hi, thanks for getting back with detailed info. We would like to follow up this case via email, please check your email box and respond, thanks a lot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 395

Replies: 5