Deco M5 Main and Satellite. Can I specify which mesh device I connect to?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-27 22:52:52 - last edited 2020-10-28 11:02:48
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.9 build 2020092 Rel. 60170

I have a Deco M5 twin system (Main and Satellite). I've got the main connected to the Virgin hub3 via Lan but with it in router mode rather than modem mode as the M5 satellite wouldn't connect, it just stayed red, is there a known issue and a workaround?

Also I've noticed that some of my stationary devices like lounge TV, Amazon fire TV etc are connected to the M5 satellite device (first floor) instead of the M5 main (ground floor). Is there a way to specify which mesh device stationary tech devices connect to?

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 Main and Satellite. Can I specify which mesh device I connect to?-Solution
2020-10-28 11:02:43 - last edited 2020-10-28 11:02:48

@Wawg 

Hello, thanks for asking.

Is the network layout Virgin Hub 3 (modem router mode)==>main Deco M5 (also router mode?))))(((satellite Deco M5? And the satellite Deco shows a red LED after the configuration? Please refer to the below troubleshooting guide to check the settings:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1447/

As per your second question that the lounge TV and Amazon Fire TV are connected to the satellite Deco instead of the main, sorry to tell you that there is no option to force connect to a particular Deco yet. Theoretically, the device will select and connect to the Wi-Fi network with better performance automatically. While we have noted that and will add this option on the Deco app in the near future.

Nice day.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Main and Satellite. Can I specify which mesh device I connect to?-Solution
2020-10-28 11:02:43 - last edited 2020-10-28 11:02:48

@Wawg 

Hello, thanks for asking.

Is the network layout Virgin Hub 3 (modem router mode)==>main Deco M5 (also router mode?))))(((satellite Deco M5? And the satellite Deco shows a red LED after the configuration? Please refer to the below troubleshooting guide to check the settings:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1447/

As per your second question that the lounge TV and Amazon Fire TV are connected to the satellite Deco instead of the main, sorry to tell you that there is no option to force connect to a particular Deco yet. Theoretically, the device will select and connect to the Wi-Fi network with better performance automatically. While we have noted that and will add this option on the Deco app in the near future.

Nice day.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M5 Main and Satellite. Can I specify which mesh device I connect to?
2021-04-15 17:33:06

@Wawg I second a feature request to force the client to connect to a specific Deco. The problem is that my devices 90% of the time connect to the Deco that is the farthest away which is completely the opposite what they suppose to do. The fastest and closest Deco should be chosen. If this will land on a roadmap that will be great news.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 958

Replies: 2