Deco M9 plus with Ethernet backhaul over Powerline adapters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-31 11:05:05 - last edited 2020-11-04 10:53:28
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I was wondering how Ethernet backhaul works on the 'M9 plus' when you also plug in an ethernet backhaul over powerline adapters. The Deco P9 obviously has the powerline adapters build in but as the M9 is tri-band, I was wondering whether the backhaul wireless channel works in tandem with the ethernet backhaul over powerline adapters.

I'm aware of all my options and how this stuff works in general but I was just trying to work out if the M9 plus' wireless backhaul channel works at the same time as the ethernet backhaul to kind of sum the two together, which I assume could increase the overall throughput of the backhaul.

The upstairs ring main is on the same main for both the places I would want to place the satellites where as the downstairs is on a different ring and there is definitely some noise on there making the powerline link between the upstairs and the downstairs relatively poor by comparison to the very good powerline connection between the two upstairs satellites. Obviously the poor powerline link between an upstairs satellite and the downstairs router connected Deco would benefit from the wireless backhaul channel IF they both worked in tandum, which is the crux of my question.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M9 plus with Ethernet backhaul over Powerline adapters-Solution
2020-10-31 23:56:49 - last edited 2020-11-04 10:53:28

@Stevieruss 

I do not believe M9 has such intelligence (or complexity). When I set my pair of M9 with wireless backhaul, this is what Deco app reported. After I connected satellite M9 to ethernet cable, Deco app reported just ethernet backhaul. I am sure wireless was disabled.

Powerline will appear as ethernet connection to Deco M9 device, so it is safe to assume it'll use ethernet and not wireless, and not both.

Which means, choose the best backhaul connection from options you have. It'll be the only one utilized by Deco.

PS. Unless Deco support replies and clarifies how backhaul is selected, the only way to reliably test this is to connect two M9 Deco to each other through 100Mbit switch, while connecting Main Deco to ISP modem/router 1 Gbit port and having Internet connection way faster than 100 Mbit.

Check in Deco app that Satellite M9 deco reports ethernet backhaul. Then, connect smartphone/tablet/laptop to satellite Deco, wirelessly or wired, and run speedtest. If you won't get more than 100 Mbit, that means only ethernet backhaul is utilized and 100 Mbit switch throttles it. If you manage to get way over 100 Mbit, that must mean Decos use WiFi backhaul in addition to ethernet. I'll be very surprised if they do.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M9 plus with Ethernet backhaul over Powerline adapters-Solution
2020-10-31 23:56:49 - last edited 2020-11-04 10:53:28

@Stevieruss 

I do not believe M9 has such intelligence (or complexity). When I set my pair of M9 with wireless backhaul, this is what Deco app reported. After I connected satellite M9 to ethernet cable, Deco app reported just ethernet backhaul. I am sure wireless was disabled.

Powerline will appear as ethernet connection to Deco M9 device, so it is safe to assume it'll use ethernet and not wireless, and not both.

Which means, choose the best backhaul connection from options you have. It'll be the only one utilized by Deco.

PS. Unless Deco support replies and clarifies how backhaul is selected, the only way to reliably test this is to connect two M9 Deco to each other through 100Mbit switch, while connecting Main Deco to ISP modem/router 1 Gbit port and having Internet connection way faster than 100 Mbit.

Check in Deco app that Satellite M9 deco reports ethernet backhaul. Then, connect smartphone/tablet/laptop to satellite Deco, wirelessly or wired, and run speedtest. If you won't get more than 100 Mbit, that means only ethernet backhaul is utilized and 100 Mbit switch throttles it. If you manage to get way over 100 Mbit, that must mean Decos use WiFi backhaul in addition to ethernet. I'll be very surprised if they do.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M9 plus with Ethernet backhaul over Powerline adapters
2020-11-01 08:31:49

@Alexandre. 

Thanks a lot for that.

I kind of expected that to be the case but hoped that the more 'complex', as you rightly put it, solution would have been possible. Wishful thinking obviously..

It's a shame as for many people, this would be a really good solution to creating the most efficient and greatest backhaul throughput. I suspect that it's very complicated to achieve though, hence the 'one or other' approach.

I wonder if the Netgear Orbi achieves this or in fact if any of the tri-band systems are capable of this.

Options
2020-11-03 14:21:05

@Stevieruss 

I have definite answer now. I've got additional M5 and wired it. On startup, this is what it reports in logs:

daemon.notice awn[1214]: [awnd_eth_handle_neigh:3941]: Activaing Ethernet backhaul in eth1, disconnect other backhuals.

daemon.notice awn[1214]: [awnd_eth_handle_neigh:3961]: Ethernet backhaul is active now.

Absolutely clear. I am sure M9 follows the same logic.

Options
2020-11-03 15:32:47

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for that. A definitive answer for sure!!

This looks like a common thing with Ethernet back haul. I'm informed that the Netgear Orbi does something very similar. Many thanks yes

Options
2020-11-04 10:53:18

Hi @Stevieruss, thanks for your interest and asking. It seems that Alexandre. has explained this in very details and the conclusion is correct that the Deco devices will prefer to use Ethernet backhaul instead of Wi-Fi backhaul when both are available, the Ethernet backhaul and Wi-Fi backhaul cannot work in tandem.

Options
2020-11-17 13:11:40

Stevieruss wrote

@Alexandre. 

Thanks a lot for that.

I kind of expected that to be the case but hoped that the more 'complex', as you rightly put it, solution would have been possible. Wishful thinking obviously..

It's a shame as for many people, this would be a really good solution to creating the most efficient and greatest backhaul throughput. I suspect that it's very complicated to achieve though, hence the 'one or other' approach.

I wonder if the Netgear Orbi achieves this or in fact if any of the tri-band systems are capable of this.

@Stevieruss 

I added the powerline adapter TL-PA8010P KIT as Ethernet backhaul to my Deco M4 (2packs). It connects main unit (upstairs) to satellite node(downstairs). I managed 140mbps wifi speed near the satellite node . My house has 3-phase power supply on 1 DB box so I bought AV2 compliant powerline adapters. The main & satellite nodes have the same wifi speed now. Also noticed that "mesh" function works because previously when i am upstairs my phone still connects to ground floor node. When i toggle wifi to connect to nearest upstair's node, it will reconnect back to ground floor node when I check after a few hours? Now the "mesh" feature works as expected after installing the powerline ethernet backhaul my phone switches correctly to nearest node. Better than getting the Deco P9 because the TL-PA8010P has passthru' sockets and I don't have to waste 2 wall sockets compared to using Deco P9.

Options
2020-11-17 14:22:19 - last edited 2020-11-17 14:22:55

@Mcwong644 I've got the orbi RBK50 which is so powerful that it manages to penetrate lath and plaster  

with metal mesh walls which nothing previously has managed to do without serious drop off. I tried the power line adapters which worked fine in our old house but suffer from too much noise on the single phase board we have. I suspect this is an issue for others as well. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3906

Replies: 7

Related Articles